Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Antique

Before I launch into my post today on "Antique", I want to mention that I've written my first book review ever and it is up on http://www.womensmemoirs.com/. If you have a chance, please check it out. The book I reviewed, "Because I Remember Terror Father, I Remember You," is definitely worth your time.

In our society, antiques are considered valuable. An antique is an item that is 50 to 100 years old and is collected or desirable because of its age, rarity, condition, utility, or other unique features. If I were a "thing," I'd be an antique. Yet, because I'm human, and female, I'm considered to be way past my prime.

It urks me that our society is so darned youth and beauty oriented. Wine is better the more it has aged. Fossils are revered for what they can teach us. Why can't we see elders the same way?

Because I have been caregiving elders for almost 10 years, I am keenly aware of the aging process. And although I know some things are inevitable, it is difficult to imagine a time when I won't be able to find the words to formulate a thought to make into a sentence to convey a meaning.

My mother-in-law asked me why I am so darned busy these days. My response: I know I'm going to have to stop doing some things I love at some point so I want to make sure I keep doing those things for as long as I possibly can and enjoy them now, while I still can.

My rant of the day: Why can't we value elders the same way we value an antique?

Thoughts anyone?
Blessings,
Karen

14 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'm not an antique person! My husband is even more harsh - he says buying an antique is paying for someone's trash.
However, I do value people far more than antiques!
Keep doing while you can, Karen! My husband's parents are in their 70's and spend part of the year driving around the country in their big motorhome, and they claim they'll keep doing it as long as they are able. I think that's a great attitude!

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

You're way too young to be an antique! A fine wine, maybe.

I don't have an answer for you. I know that I've always had tremendous respect and awe for my elders, but that was part of my upbringing. It's why I choose to write elderly protagonists who don't put up with disrespect or nonsense.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Tamika: said...

I thank God for the "seasoned women He has planted in my life- where would I be without them! Placing a value on anything more than one another is so sad. Age is a testimony of God's goodness and grace- we can learn alot from that alone.

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

You're only as old as you feel. Disabilities are only as disabling as you allow them to be. In each day of our life there are challenges we all face no matter our age.

I've learned so much wisdom and experienced great joy from older women, especially from my Mom/best friend when she was alive. I hope that I can pass some of that on to my two granddaughters and mentor other women.

I'm 63 and not an antique! May have some wear and tear on the parts from my life's journey, but the patina shines through!

Let's celebrate all women...not for how they appear but for who they are!!

Joanne said...

I've always thought of antiques as intriguing, with their hint of history, of mysterious stories, of events they've been a part of. I'd like to draw the same parallel with people, that age adds such an amazing depth, with layers of life to share, from which much wisdom arises. There are so many riches found in both.

arlee bird said...

Antiques are nice to look at but I don't particularly want them in my house and my wife wouldn't stand for it-- everything has to be new for her. Hope she doesn't feel that way about me cause by definition I'm there too. My consolation is so is she.
But, yeah, I don't feel "old" and I want to stay active and interested for as long as I live. My father-in-law is 85 and he's always looking forward to something. I think that's the key, keep looking forward to tomorrow-- don't just give up and languish in the past.
Lee
http://tossingitout.blogspot.com/

The Old Silly said...

Me I love antiques that have been treated well and treasured over the years. Same with my revered elders. Nice review, btw, hope you will write one for I Romanced the Stone after you've read it. (wink)

Marvin D Wilson

Elspeth Antonelli said...

I think we appreciate both antiques and our elders as we age ourselves. We need to have an appreciation of who and what was here before us and I don't think younger people thing about that too much. It takes a while before we realize there's more to the world than just ourselves.

Elspeth

Patricia Stoltey said...

I love spending time with the elders in my life. Maybe that's why I, like Elizabeth, enjoyed adding spirited older characters to my mysteries. I hope some of my younger friends feel that way about me as I grow older.

Cyndi said...

I agree. I almost wrote an entire post myself about an incident I witnessed a few months ago. An elderly man was crossing a very busy street during lunchtime on a weekday. Some corporate drone (I'm assuming) got the green light and wanted to turn right but the gentleman crossing the street was not going fast enough for the drone so he LAYED on his horn, scaring the poor man half to death. It was such an unbelievably insensitive and pointless thing to do. I was appalled. He wasn't able to walk any faster just because of the obnoxious horn honking and the jerk behind the horn was probably delayed for 10 seconds.

Helen Ginger said...

I just wish older people could be treated as people. People with feelings, dreams, aspirations, hungers, fears, talents, stories, love, fears...just people, like everyone else.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Tabitha Bird said...

I have shouted you out on my blog today. (when I get it up :) Just wanted to let you know :)

Carol J. Garvin said...

I popped over here from Jody's blog and have been enjoying my exploration around your site. I'm not a young 'un either but can't say I've experienced any disrespect due to age. But I suspect there will always be some people who don't value antiques, living or otherwise. I guess I've just been lucky not to have encountered them.

sanjeet said...

Some corporate drone (I'm assuming) got the green light and wanted to turn right but the gentleman crossing the street was not going fast enough for the drone so he LAYED on his horn, scaring the poor man half to death.

Work from home India