Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Bragging

Several of the online communities I belong to have special days where members can brag. It's nice to be given permission. In our society, being conceited or full of ourselves, blowing our own steam, we have so many ways of saying someone is a braggart, that I find it extremely difficult to share my successes. I had a mother who told me not to win when playing games because others would feel bad. What about how I feel?

I have two successes to share today. One is that I am going to be the featured member for the month of December on the National Association of Memoir Writers website. Linda Joy Meyers, founder of the organization, will interview me this coming Thursday and a written and audio version of the interview will appear on the site.

The second success is an upcoming interview with Mark David Gerson, author of "The Voice of the Muse." He hosts a radio show called "The Muse and You," and I will a guest on December 17.

I am also giving my first talk, based on issues dealt with in my memoir, this coming Saturday at Blue Eagle Bookshop. Excitement is overshadowing nerves at the moment. Right after the talk, I am performing with my trio at Las Colinas Retirement Community.

There, I've bragged. Now it's your turn. Tell us about your successes, big and small.

Blessings,
Karen

18 comments:

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Congratulations, Karen! You have quite a busy month ahead of you. I guess my latest success was hearing that my second manuscript was a finalist in the Royal Palms Literary Contest. Even though it didn't win, I felt good about making it that far.

Sharon Lippincott said...

Congratulations Karen. Your interview has already debuted in the NAMW newsletter -- good reason for everyone to sign up for it at http://www.namw.org. I look forward to hearing the recorded version. And also Mark David Gerson's show. You are such an inspiration the way you are getting yourself out there. And you couldn't inspire me/others if you didn't "brag" a little. Such a great reason to do so. And don't wait for the Special Days. Any day is a great day to toot your horn, in your blog and the Life Writers' Forum, for sure.

The Old Silly said...

You go, girl! lol. Me? Well, I beat my 10 year old grandson at WII bowling last night for the first time ever! Yay!

Marvin D Wilson

Tamika: said...

Good for you Karen! I love hearing abour successes reminds me that good things are not in small supply!

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Congratulations, Karen! I love hearing your good news.

I'm kind of holding steady right now...nothing really wonderful to speak of. I'll just enjoy everyone else's news!

Elizabeth

arlee bird said...

The way I see it there's bragging and there's self-promotion and you're doing the latter.
I guess my recent milestones in my writing career have been continuously keeping up with my blog daily for over 2 months, winning the NaNo challenge, and I am scheduled to have a guest spot on:
http://vbt-writersonthemove.blogspot.com/
on December 14. I'm not bragging, I'm just promoting my own career.
Lee

http://tossingitout.blogspot.com/

Helen Ginger said...

Yay, Karen! December is officially Karen Walker month. Awesome.

Helen
Straight From Hel

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That sounds like a lot of great brags! You'll do great speaking at the bookstore.
My brag - I just found out a large business in the DC area called my publisher and ordered a couple cases of my non-fiction book. Woo-hoo!

Joanne said...

Wonderful news for you Karen! You must be thrilled at December's opportunities. I think self-promotion definitely comes with the territory of writing, and you've got great headlines to share. I'm in the brag-waiting stage, with a couple projects queried, and a few smaller pieces I'm finishing up and preparing to submit.

Jody Hedlund said...

Karen, Thank you for sharing your successes! We need to be able to do that so we can cheer one another on! No one knows better than we do how much hard work and effort you've put into all of your writing and work!

And btw, thank you so much for your comment today on my blog. I appreciated hearing that my children will benefit from what I'm doing! Thank you!! It was a beautiful comment.

kerrycharacters said...

I have just come across your blog and am impressed by your achievements. I read that aborigines in Australia do not believe in celebrating birthdays (the mere passing of time) but instead will suddenly announce one day that a party needs to be had to celebrate something they have achieved. Members of the community then do this and the recipient feels even better. What a great idea! This is similar. It is good to give ourselves permission to brag but hard as I had a similar message about this passed to me. I am a newbie writer and find so much inspiration from all of you. I have been going about 7 weeks and am delighted with all the hits and encouragement. I have also been approached by two agents and two publishers!

Elspeth Antonelli said...

Well done, Karen! *applauds wildly*

I'll brag that this quarter's sales for my mystery games looks to be the best I've ever had. October was my best month ever. Hurrah for royalties! Downside? More taxes to pay. Boo.

Elspeth

Karen Walker said...

Jane, a finalist in a literary contest - woo-hoo!
Sharon, thanks for the encouragement
Old Silly - beating a 10-year-old - great!
Tamika, no, indeed - good things are plentiful
Elizabeth, steady is good after the pace you've been keeping
Lee, thanks for sharing those successes and for distinguishing between bragging and self-promotion.
Helen, hmmm, never had a month for myself. Thanks.
Diane, a couple of cases - wow! Congrats
Joanne, I'll keep my fingers crossed on the queries and wish you well on completing other manuscripts.
Jody, yes, we do serve as cheerleaders for one another, don't we? So glad my comment helped. I actually hesitated before hitting that submit button--not sure how it would be received.
Karen

Karen Walker said...

Elspeth, that's fantastic. Taxes be damned. Sales! Sales! Sales!
Kerrycharacters, welcome to my blog. And hurray for you, a newbie being approached by agents and publishers. Am I allowed to say I'm jealous?
Karen

Galen Kindley--Author said...

This IS Karen Walker Month...who's to say we can make that pronouncement? As for my bragging points...Hmmm. Well, I'm organizing my Writing List To Dos. Don't know if that count's, but it makes me feel better.

Best Regards, Galen

Imagineering Fiction Blog

Linda said...

Wonderful news, Karen! It's been an amazing year for you!

Tabitha Bird said...

That is great news! We just bought a new house. Does that count? I am pretty excited :)

Anonymous said...

Well, my knees are holding out and I can still dance.

-Simona