Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, December 11, 2009

A journey

Somewhere I heard that life is a journey, not a destination. I need that reminder. I need lots of reminders to help me stay centered. Like yesterday, I had my first session with a writing coach, Mark David Gerson, author of "Voice of the Muse." The first thing he said is that it's about process, not product. I was worried that I am not willing to self-publish another book, that I won't find an agent, that it won't get published. And I don't have words on paper yet.

The session taught me lots of things, but most importantly, it made me realize that, although I was willing to undertake this new journey into fiction, I hadn't really committed myself to the process. It is a world of unknown, unlike the memoir, where I at least had journals to refer to. And it was my own story, so I knew it backwards and forwards. I just had to learn how to tell it.

This is not even in the same realm. Mark David said, "it would be nice if we could say yes for all time, but we don't. We say yes to this over here, and then something changes, and we have to say yes to something else all together. It's moment to moment."

So, yes, doubt will surface. This new process is about moving through my resistance to trust--over and over and over again.

Blessings,
Karen

14 comments:

Tabitha Bird said...

That is such good advise. Moment to moment. I need to remember that too.

Tamika: said...

When I first had the thought to write I knew I would write non-fiction. Something concrete that I could draw from sources and experience. But when the Lord said fiction, I shuttered in disbelief. "I'm not that creative Lord." My thoughts were jumbled with doubt.

It wasn't until I started writing fiction this year that I discovered this is indeed my calling. But I had to step out on faith.

Joanne said...

An amazing thing about fiction, too, is that once you start, and establish the premise, the characters often lead the author along. They take on a life of their own and often show us what path they'll take.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

You can do it!

The Old Silly said...

Ture indeed, and I wish you well on your journey. You're doing fine with it, I believe.

Marvin D Wilson

sanjeet said...

They take on a life of their own and often show us what path they'll take.

Work from home India

Stephen Tremp said...

Great advice that its about the process and not the product. I heard it another way: its about the journey and not the final destination.

Stephen Tremp

Helen Ginger said...

Good advice. One nice thing (among many) is that unlike nonfiction where you need to stick to the facts, with fiction your characters can take you to places you hadn't imagined - and you can either go with them or, in some cases, lead them where you want them to go.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

It really is such a journey, Karen. I have doubts *all* the time. I have doubts after the book is published, too. I just try to put them out of my head and keep going

By the way, I wondered if you might like this funny link that outlines the way writing a book is like a love story. It has a lot of truth to it and I enjoy sharing it with my writing friends. :) :
http://libba-bray.livejournal.com/36896.html

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

The fun part of writing fiction is that we can control the world we're creating... until one or more of the characters take over.

~Ellie Kings~ said...

I'm following from Tab's blog. She said some great things about you and had to check it out. She was right! Love this post, will be reading more!
Ellie

Linda said...

I have a rock on my desk with the phrase "Success is a journey not a destination". It serves as a good reminder to me often as well. You're on the right track, Karen.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I hopped over from Through My Eyes. She had a great shout-out about you, so I had to come say hi! :-)

Great advice - I always try to think of this as a journeying process, too.

Karen Walker said...

Hello Ellie and Shannon. Thanks for bopping over from Tabitha's blog. It's quite an honor to be shouted out by Tab. She's such a gifted writer.
Welcome.
Thanks everybody for these great thoughts on the journey.
Karen