Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Thursday, December 3, 2009

New Beginnings

I want to thank each and every one of you who commented on this week's "Telling the Truth Tuesday" blog. Your words meant a great deal to me. And Helen, you'll never get booed off my pulpit!

I watched the movie, Sex and the City last night. I'd seen it before, but I was totally in need of distraction--something light that would take my mind off everything else. In the film, Miranda (the lawyer) separates from her husband because he cheats on her (sex had pretty much disappeared from their marriage). Anyway, long story short, after six months or so, they try therapy. Then they are to take two weeks, during which time they don't speak to or see one another. A location is chosen where, at the end of two weeks, they either show up, or they don't. If both appear, their entire past is erased.

I love that concept. Of course, in real life, we must do a great deal of work to erase the effects of deep wounds inflicted by those we love and who love us. But the idea of new beginnings appeals to me. It always has. Fall is my favorite time of the year because it was when the new school year started and I got to buy new notebooks, pens, and clothes. Teachers were different. Classes were not the same. New students were added into the mix; others had moved away.

With the New Year just around the corner, I am shifting towards a new attitude. I am going to attempt to see each day as a new beginning. This means that even if the previous 10 days resulted in no new writing, that past will be erased each new day. So, dear readers, if I lapse into complaining about the writing path, could you please gently remind me of this declaration of new beginnings.

What new beginnings might the New Year have in store for you?

Blessings,
Karen

11 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I think that's a wonderful way to approach life, Karen!

I follow a home management site called Flylady. (http://flylady.net/pages/begin_babysteps.asp) Her motto is: "Don't try to catch up! Just join us where we are today."

I love your idea, Karen.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

One of my "new beginnings" for the new year is not to compare myself to anyone else and to be happy with who I am, where I am and knowing that no matter what the circumstances, that God is blessing me.

Joanne said...

I like that concept, each day as a new beginning. There's a certain sense of great possibility in that kind of thinking, a sense of moving forward. Though I don't really have any "planned" new beginnings for the new year, there's still that sense of adventure, and mystery, of where my words can take me.

Jen Chandler said...

That's wonderful, Karen!

I love new beginnings also. I always love starting a new project, journal, work out (ha!) on a Monday or the first of a month. New Year's Day and my birthday have always held special significance for me. Even as a child I had a feeling it was a clean slate, you know?

This year, I plan to write more, create more, complain less, and open my etsy shop in hopes of making at least what I'm making at my current job so I can quit and write full time :) I also plan to be myself more and what I think people want me to be less.

Best of luck to you in your new year goals!

Happy Thursday,
Jen

Suzyhayze said...

What a wonderful way to start the new year!

Cyndi said...

What a great outlook! I love it. Change your outlook...change your life, right? Good old CBT. You've inspired me to register TODAY for the classes I've been putting off. :)

Helen Ginger said...

I have not even thought about New Year's resolutions. I quit making them long ago since I never followed through and kept any that I made. Perhaps I should make the resolution to start anew. If I fail to do what I had planned, move on or start over and not chastise myself.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Elspeth Antonelli said...

New beginning are wonderful, but it's following through that counts. It's hard to change one's stripes.

Elspeth

The Old Silly said...

Great attitude for a "new" beginning to a new year. Me? I don't know, go with the flow and stick to "being here now" is my torch-lit path - that and do the right thing along the way.

Marvin D Wilson

Tabitha Bird said...

I'll remind you if you remind me :) I love this new thought though. I am going to steal that one if that is okay. I have been struggling with the whole Christmas season and with feeling like I didn't achieve what I wanted to this year. But I am going to take that thought of yours and wear it. thank you :)

Patricia Stoltey said...

It's a "today is the first day of the rest of your life" philosophy and it makes excellent sense to me. Should definitely reduce stress.