Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, December 18, 2009

Should I be flattered or angered?

Yesterday I got an email from a dear friend, asking if I knew about this - and this web link was attached.
http://weightlossteenagegirls.com/karen-following-the-whispers-a-journey-weightlossteenagegirls-com/
When I clicked on it, one of my blog posts was there, with phrases embedded in it that I didn't write. There was no attribution listed. Other of my blog posts were listed on the bottom with nothing indicating it was me. There is no identifying information on this website as to who is writing it. All I could do was write a comment at the bottom. Is this the price of fame (lol)? Any ideas?

Yesterday was also my radio interview on Blogtalk radio. If you'd like to listen, here's the link:http://www.blogtalkradio.com/redriverwriterslive/2009/12/17/red-river-writers-live--the-muse-you
I'm told this is marketing, not bragging!

Short and sweet today. Wishing everyone a happy weekend. Only two posts scheduled next week: Monday and Tuesday. I'll be taking off the rest of the week for the holiday.

Blessings,
Karen

15 comments:

Cyndi said...

This has happened to me too. I believe that these blogs are not run by people but are set up as bots that pull info from other blogs based on keywords or something. What I can't figure out is why. What's the point? Maybe there's spyware or malware embedded in these fake blogs?

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Cyndi is right about the bots. By updating their content frequently (with stolen content from us), they get more hits on their site and can sell their products easier. My stuff seems to be all over the place....selling enhancements, pills, etc! I don't think we can do too much about it. :(

You sound WONDERFUL on your radio show! You're obviously a very comfortable speaker. And your speaking voice is excellent--natural, not-too-fast, articulate.

The 40 page rebuttal is TOO funny. :)

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Karen Walker said...

Thanks for the possible explanation Cyndi. My ignorance is showing--what's a bot?
Elizabeth, thanks so much for taking the time to listen to the interview. You are very much appreciated.
Karen

Helen Ginger said...

I've had that happen also. I agree, to me it makes no sense. If I stumbled upon such a site and read a nonsense post that had words inserted in it, but the post had nothing to do with what they're selling, I wouldn't buy. But I think, if they get lots of hits, they get more money from the people or companies posting ads on their site, so that's their motivation.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Tamika: said...

I never knew this was happening, thanks Karen for opening my eyes. It seems like a crude invasion of our rights.

I can't wait to check out your interview this evening!

Joanne said...

I agree with Tamika, but I don't think it's worth our efforts to get entangled in trying to stop it. There'll always be something like that going on out there. It's one of the down sides of the internet, I guess :(

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I had no idea either, but it just doesn't seem right that sites can get by doing this. I wonder can you copyright a blog and if so if that gives you some authority to tell them to cease and desist.

The Old Silly said...

I run into this also. Not much you can do about it, it is nice to see your stuff shared around with people you don't normally reach, but unless the rip off artists link back to your site or at least give credits, not a lot is gained. All part of the downside of e-technology, I guess. My e-books get ripped off all the time. Anyhoo - off to see how you sound on the radio, and have a wonderful weekend!

Marvin D Wilson

Gene Bodzin said...

There are times when, as a freelancer, you feel flattered to see your words appropriated -- such as when you see one of your expressions quoted by a major company in a headline. Because in freelancing you normally have to leave your ego at the door, you don't care what they do. They have paid for your words and they own them.

But your situation is not like that. Your words have been stolen and altered. At least your name didn't appear on the misquote, as it sometimes does. As many people have pointed out, in an electronic world there is little we can do to retain ownership of our words.

My worst experience with this problem (and there have been many) came when the Editors Association of Canada (!) changed an article they asked me to write, added a few ideas I did not endorse, and kept my name at the top of the page. Worst of all, it was an article on this very topic. They did not see the irony even when I sent them a steamy rebuttal.

carolynyalin said...

Thanks for letting me (us) know about this. I didn't know it could happen.

Patricia Stoltey said...

This is stealing, plain and simple. Here's a bit of info on combating the practice: http://jahangiri.us/news/2009/09/17/3-ways-to-protect-your-content/

alexisgrant said...

I just tried to click on the link and it didn't work, so that's probably a GOOD THING!

Sorry to hear your writing is going as well as you had hoped. Maybe taking off the holidays like you said is a good idea -- you can return to it with a fresh head in 2010!

Happy Holidays!

julielomoe said...

Hi Karen. Congratulations on all your recent successes, and thanks to everyone who commented on the issue above - it was a new topic area for me, and I'm better informed now.

I've seen sites where authors state something along the lines of "You're welcome to reprint this blog, but please credit me by name and include a live link to my blog." It doesn't hurt to include a copyright notice on your posts, but I don't know if it would do much good.

Just today I learned how to find statistical analyses of my blog visits in greater detail, and I learned people have been linking to me from your blog. So thanks for that, and Merry Christmas!

Julie Lomoe's Musings Mysterioso
http://julielomoe.wordpress.com

Natasha Fondren said...

If you burn your feed through feedburner, then you can add a footnote to the bottom of your feed, linking back to your site. That way, when people steal, it will still link back to your site. Usually.

Natasha Fondren said...

Blogger might also have a way to add a footer to your feeds that will serve the same purpose. It's worth a shot! Good luck!