Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Stepping Out of Our Comfort Zones

December is a month of being out of my comfort zone in so many ways. First of all, Kendra Bonnett and Matilda Butler  asked me to write not one, but two book reviews. The first one appeared at the end of November and was for "Because I Remember Terror Father, I Remember You," by Sue William Silverman. The second review went live on their website yesterday. It's for "Love Sick," by the same author. I'd never written a book review before and frankly, it made me extremely anxious. You guys can let me know how I did.

Next, I gave my first presentation based on issues dealt with in my memoir, "Following the Whispers," at a local bookstore. Although I was comfortable during the presentation, it was definitely out of the comfort zone I usually live in.

Then Linda Joy Meyers, executive director of the National Association of Memoir Writers, told me I'd been selected as the featured member for the month of December. She had me answer questions in a print format as well as conducting an audio interview. It is such an honor.

Lastly, Mark David Gerson, author of "The Voice of the Muse," is having me as his guest today on "The Muse and You," an internet radio broadcast.

I am out of my comfort zone writing about all of this because it sure feels like bragging to me. I've talked before about bragging versus self-promotion, so I won't go into that again here. Suffice it to say that I need to get more comfortable accepting the good things that happen in my life.For so many years I'd become so used to being miserable, expecting the worst, and that's what usually happened. Now, not so much. I am so grateful to Kendra, Matilda, Linda Joy, and Mark David, for giving me the gift of recognition and the opportunities to share with others. Thank you all so much.

And for you, dear blogging friends, thanks for indulging me by reading this blog and for all the wonderful comments and advice and suggestions.

Are you stepping out of your comfort zone? If so, how?

Blessings,
Karen

11 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Never feel as if you're bragging, Karen - you are just sharing your personal accomplishments!

Suzyhayze said...

Oh my gosh. SO much! That website made me feel sick to my stomach... but it's important.

XO

The Old Silly said...

Have a great broadcast, and "Brava!" for stepping outside your comfort zone!

Marvin D Wilson

Mark David Gerson said...

Excited for you...and excited to have you on today's broadcast!

Joanne said...

It sounds like this is a wonderfully fulfilling month for you. Because that's often where fulfillment, or satisfaction, stems from, metting a challenge. Kudos to you. I've got a few projects I'm planning for the New Year that veer a little from my routine, but nothing too major.

Helen Ginger said...

I think it's wonderful that you're getting these opportunities to reach out to your readers and potential readers and share a bit of yourself with them. I hope you'll enjoy yourself more and more with each opportunity.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Tabitha Bird said...

I step out of my comfort zone every time I believe I can write!

Congrats on all those wonderful things this month Karen, way to go!

Elspeth Antonelli said...

I'm so glad all these opportunities are coming your way, Karen. Be proud! Am I stepping out of my comfort zone? Not yet. Not for a while. I should.

Elspeth

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

You have certainly had a busy and successful December. Way to go!

Anytime I am marketing my book, I am out of my comfort zone. I keep waiting for it to get easier, but...

I don't think mentioning the good things happening in your life is bragging. I enjoy hearing good news. Hopefully, I'll have a little more time over the weekend and can check out the reviews and interviews.

Matilda Butler said...

Karen:
Congratulations on a productive month. Kendra Bonnett and I are pleased to have had the opportunity to interview you about your book and to have published your book reviews. We look forward to continuing our growing friendship (looking forward to meeting you in Austin, Feb 5-7 at Story Circle Network's Stories from the Heart Writers' Conference -- http://www.storycircle.org/Conference ) and to having the opportunity to promote you, your books, and your talents.
-Matilda

Cyndi said...

Wow, congrats on all the recognition and publicity! I'm thinking you won't have a difficult time getting a publisher when you finish your next book! My comfort zone....I think I've lost it. I hid in it for so many years then I ditched it completely. Maybe it's not lost and I'm actually hiding in it again for a while. I'll have to give that some thought. Thanks for the push. :)