Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, December 4, 2009

Sustenance

I used to believe that if I figured out how to be happy, then I'd live "happily ever after," just like the fairytales promised. Being older and, hopefully, a bit wiser, I know now that happiness comes in moments. It's not sustainable. Stuff happens that evoke a wide range of emotions, happy being just one. Our lives are much richer and fuller because of the vast array of possibilities, all of which cause different feelings.

My hubby is very emotionally stable. He's pretty much content 99% of the time. The only times I've seen him flustered have been work-related. I'm different. My emotions tend to be all over the place--one minute I'm flying high because I had a great idea, the next minute I'm bummed because nothing is happening with that idea. Since I used to battle pretty severe depression, I'm rather happy about the fact that I'm no longer in that state. I have times when I feel depressed, but unlike the past, where it enveloped me like a cocoon, it is more of a gentle nudge that something isn't right in my world and I need to take a look.

What I'm realizing is that what I need to sustain is not the happy moments, but the trust I'm coming to have in myself. The knowing that I am a good person on a spiritual journey, trying to be the best Karen I can be. That I am human and will make mistakes. That my writing is important to me and I just need to keep plugging away at it.

Trust is the next thing to be added to my bucket list. Trust myself.

Blessings,
Karen

14 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Your husband's even keel probably helps balance you out, too. Opposites attract because together they achieve balance.

Trust in the gifts & strengths God gave you, Karen!

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

For me, trust in the Lord is first and foremost in my life. Second is the trust I have for my husband. I know, without a doubt, he will love me unconditionally and I can trust him with my life.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I hadn't thought of it that way. You're so right...we need to trust ourselves and our abilities and our insights, too.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Joanne said...

You're right, in that happiness itself seems to strong an emotion to sustain. But to embrace it when it's there, and then feel at peace, contentment with the flow of our days, well it's a pretty nice way to live :)

Cyndi said...

This is so important. I used to chase happiness myself. It left me bouncing around reacting to things I felt were out of my control and trying to control them. It only lead to depression. Such a vicious circle. My husband is emotionally stable too and I agree with Diane, he helps pull me back from the dark side with his calm approach to most of life's set backs. Trusting ourselves is difficult at first but does get easier with practice, doesn't it? Great post!

carolynyalin said...

I agree with Elizabeth, we do need to trust ourselves, but I'd also add, we need to believe in ourselves too.

Elspeth Antonelli said...

Self-trust would be great. I trust my intelligence, I have trouble trusting in my abilities. I have always had a difficult time accepting praise coming from years of being told 'not good enough'.

Elspeth

Tamika: said...

Aw, the bucket list! I'll be exploring that on my post Monday. I've been thinking a lot about what it means to have the skin to write. And I'm reminded of the scripture that says, work heartily as unto the Lord and not man.

My writing is for God first! God bless Karen!

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I feel so fortunate - it doesn’t take much to make or keep me happy. Keep trusting yourself, Karen.

Jody Hedlund said...

Karen, That's such an important aspect of growth. Sounds like you're moving to a place of serenity and that it's transferring to your writing. Blessings!

The Old Silly said...

Yup. You got it. :)

Marvin D Wilson

Helen Ginger said...

If "trust yourself" is on your bucket list, you must have a pretty interesting bucket list! It also sounds like you're working on achieving that list. Way to go!

Helen
Straight From Hel

Martha Nichols said...

Karen, I really like your description of everyday depression as "a gentle nudge that something isn't right in my world." That's so accurate, so self-trustful (if you'll allow the made-up word), and so wise. Happiness isn't all it's cracked up to be, and the only way to proceed on the journey is to open yourself to the whole array of emotions.

I know, I've struggled with depression, too. I've also been labeled "hypomanic"--or what I'd call "wired for sound" when I'm excited about something. I'm so glad you trust yourself.

alexisgrant said...

Karen,

Trusting yourself is so important. And you're smart just for recognizing that. Glad you're adding it to your list of goals!