Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Telling the Truth Tuesday - Bad Moods

I had a really really really off day Sunday. I don't know why. I woke up feeling pretty okay, just tired from the intensity of Saturday. But as the day wore on, I grew crankier and crankier. It's true, nothing seemed to go the way I planned, but that's no excuse to snap at my wonderful hubby, or slam the phone down because it wasn't working, or become irritable because he had to stay on the phone for a half hour with his mom to figure out why her TV wasn't working.

I used to be that way much more of the time. In those days I lived in the land of off-balance. But lately, I am pretty centered on most days most of the time. So what to do? I tried deep breathing. I tried getting quiet, hoping to figure out what triggered it. The only thing I could come up with is that I haven't been exercising. I usually walk outside for 20 minutes a day, but it's been cold and I've been busy.

While running errands, I also just told whatever was going on inside me to leave--that I didn't need that kind of negative energy, especially since things were going so well in my life. Hmm, maybe that's where this was coming from. Things were just too darn good. When I returned home, I went outside and walked.

Lo and behold, the energy shifted and I was my normal, loving, not so irritable self. Moral of the story?
Pay attention to your feelings, moods, thoughts, and reactions. If they are out of your normal mode of behavior, something else is going on. Luckily, I'm getting faster at figuring these things out.

Blessings,
Karen

14 comments:

Crystal Clear Proofing said...

Isn't that the truth! Something else is most definitely going on when we're "off!" I've gotten pretty good at recognizing that, but have a tendency to overthink the cause. Sometimes it could be this, or this, or that. THAT'S the hard part for me!

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I can quickly tell when I'm in a irritable mood (everything starts going wrong), but it's harder for me to break the cycle sometimes. You're right--taking a few minutes to analyze and reflect would make all the difference. Thanks, Karen!

Elizabeth Mystery Writing is Murder

Tabitha Bird said...

Maybe that is my problem. I am having trouble climbing out of a bit of a hole myself at the moment. And I have stopped boxing. I just can't find the will. Maybe I should just go anyway...

Joanne said...

I'm a walker, walking as often as I can, wherever I can. I've found it to be so beneficial, not only physically, but spiritually as well. Walking often involves a journey in thought, and it is very rare that a long walk doesn't help set things straight :)

The Old Silly said...

The first step in getting out of a "bad" mood, or a "funk" is being aware you are in one. Lots of people don't even recognize their mood swings, and act out accordingly, often to ill effects. Once you have awareness of your passing moods, you can then make conscious CHOICES as to whether you want to continue and act with them (under the influence) or not.

Good subject and post.

Marvin D Wilson

Patricia Stoltey said...

While I was working on my book yesterday in my planned quiet time, someone outside began slamming doors shut on a car (at least a dozen times), and then someone sat in a car revving the engine over and over. I felt my tension level go up and my mood sink through the floor. My best solution for extreme irritation -- one little square of dark chocolate while counting my blessings.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Exercise does wonders for the body AND mind! I'm a big advocate, too.

I've also found that I tend to crash the day after a big event. I guess pouring all that spirit and optimism into one afternoon or evening just sucks it out of the next day. It's taken time, but I've learned to maintain an even keel now.

Helen Ginger said...

My mood is definitely off today. But I know why. There's nothing at this point I can do to change the circumstances and I know it'll take days to get centered again. Well, today and tomorrow. On Thursday I have to be back up since I have a full day of interviewing to do for the book.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Devon Ellington said...

I'm having an awful day today, so I sympathize. Part of it is that I'm dealing with a stomach bug, but still had to function; when I rest and heal, I'll be able to get back to my normal equilibrium.

We're human; sometimes we feel lousy. It's okay. The hardest thing is to get off our own backs about it.

Glad you're feeling better.

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I think walking is a better cure-all than aspirin! Glad you figured out what you needed.

Gene Bodzin said...

Everybody talks about having a bad mood ambush you and ruin you for everybody else, as if it weren't just natural, as if it needed curing. I am more amazed when I suddenly find myself in a euphoric mood for no reason I can identify. I agree with Devon Ellington that these things sometimes just happen. Has anybody ever tried to get out of a good mood by going for a long walk or taking a stiff drink? It makes just as much sense as trying to squelch a funk.

Anonymous said...

Be sure to apologize to your hubby for snapping at him.
-Simona

Cyndi said...

Glad you are feeling more like yourself and I absolutely needed a reminder that exercise helps EVERYTHING. I've gotten way off track and absolutely need to get back to it. Stat.

sanjeet said...

taking a few minutes to analyze and reflect would make all the difference. Thanks,

Work from home India