Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, December 21, 2009

Weekend Wrap - up - Moseying

I did something totally radical on Friday. I put my Richard Simmons exercise tape in the machine, turned it on, listened for about 10 seconds, then said to myself, you don't really want to do this, do you? Well, I never really feel like doing it, but I do it anyway. Not Friday. Friday I turned it off, hopped in the shower, got dressed, and took myself for a day of moseying.

Now what do I mean by moseying? I mean there were no shoulds, no list of things to buy, nada. I gave myself a totally free day to mosey wherever I felt like moseying, stopping wherever and whenever I wanted.
I did have a slight mission in mind. I wanted a pretty white blouse to wear New Year's Eve when I perform in the talent show.

Do you have any idea how freeing it is to mosey? No timetable to keep up with. Eat when you get hungry. Stop when you get tired. It's like being on vacation, but there aren't a gazillion sights to run around and see so you feel like your money's been well spent.

Now, I'm not a shopping person. Nor am I a "girlie girl." But Friday I had a blast trying on clothing. Probably because now that I've lost 48 pounds, everything I put on fits. And it looks pretty good as well. Macy's was having a huge, blowout sale. I couldn't believe the prices on some of the items. I'd been wearing a winter coat that is 5 years old and 3 or 4 sizes too big. I got me a beautiful down coat in a lovely tiel for more than 50 percent off.

We can't always take a complete day off from chores, responsibilities, writing, whatever it is we all feel we need to be doing. But I highly recommend a day of moseying. Try it. Trust me. You won't be sorry.

Blessings,
Karen

13 comments:

The Old Silly said...

Absolutely LOVE moseying! Good for you. And how about galavantin'? You like to go galavantin' about?

Marvin D Wilson

Tabitha Bird said...

I would love a good mosey. I must schedule one for the new year... after we've moved... and after Christmas... and after Isaiah goes back to school. You just can't mosey with a 6 and a 2 year old. Some how it is not the same :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Sometimes a day of moseying is what we need! Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I need to mosey! Everyone in the South does it but me... :)

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Joanne said...

I love moseying. There's just such an ease to the day. Your coat sounds amazing, I bought a coat at Macy's last winter, they have a great selection, don't they? Well, I'm off to mosey into my day now :)

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I love those type of days! Sometimes just changing up a routine slightly can make all the difference in the world in how we feel.

Jody Hedlund said...

What a wonderful suggestion, Karen!! My day of moseying might be snuggling on the couch with a good book and with no other responsibilities calling my name!

carolynyalin said...

Yeah for free days! We all need to slow down more than we do.

Patricia Stoltey said...

I used to go to Old Town Fort Collins on a summer Sunday to mosey -- visit the shops, listen to bands, have a cup of ice cream (Coffee!Coffee!Buzz!Buzz!Buzz!) at Ben & Jerry's, sometimes eat lunch, wander the library or art galleries. Maybe I'll do a winter mosey on Friday.

Cyndi said...

Sounds like a beautiful day...and Macy's....it's one of my happy places. Amazing how losing that much weight makes shopping so much more fun isn't it? Good for you!

irene brodsky said...

i just love to mosey in the Mall all by myself.
No one to tell me what to buy or how much to spend. Just me and my charge cards! Bliss!!!

Anonymous said...

I keep meaning to mosey around Knob Hill or Old Town looking for Christmas gifts, but I've let two Christmases slip by without doing it. Life is way too busy.

Carol J. Garvin said...

A day of moseying is a lovely treat and we deserve to treat ourselves once in a while. I'm glad you had such a wonderful day. I had to chuckle a bit, though -- you don't mention finding the blouse you initially went for. :) Happy New Year to you.