Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, December 14, 2009

Weekend wrap-up

The weekend was a whirlwind of activities, starting with a singing gig Saturday morning. It was at a rehabilitation facility (folks recovering from heart attacks, strokes, injuries, etc.). It went well, except for the woman who started sobbing when one of our trio sang "Lean on Me." I truly hope she isn't just so alone in the world that the song triggered something.

That afternoon, hubby and I ran around town with shopping errands. Five stores and five hours later, I crashed and burned at home. But energy was renewed after din-din and off to folkdancing we went. I hadn't been in a few weeks and it was wonderful seeing friends and dancing again. I forget sometimes how much I love it. But there's just so much energy one person has, and between the writing and the singing, I don't have much left over.

Sunday brought another singing gig in the afternoon, followed by tea with a friend, than a Chanukah party with potato latkes. For my non-Jewish friends, these are actually a German dish called potato pancakes, consisting of grated potatoes, onions, eggs and either matzah meal or flour, made into patties and fried. They are served with sour cream and/or apple sauce. Yummers!


Lastly, Sunday morning I stopped by a few of my favorite blogs and lo and behold, Elizabeth Spann Craig created her own writing award. Along with several other writers, I was lucky enough to receive it. Here it is. The best thing about it. It has no rules. So I am going to pass on bestowing it to others. If you read this blog, please feel free to take this award--you deserve it.

Blessings,
Karen

13 comments:

Tabitha Bird said...

Congrats. Cool award. You should create a writing award for non-fictioney type posts or soemthing memoirish. That would be cool!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Wow, your Saturday would make me drop!

Joanne said...

Wow, lots of fun happenings in your weekend! Dancing and singing, very energizing indeed. And congrats on your Award, raising my coffee cup in a congratulations toast to you :)

Jody Hedlund said...

You are just full of energy, Karen! Wow, I'm amazed at all you do!

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

What a busy weekend - it would take me the entire week to rest up from it! Congratulations on the award - I thought Elizabeth did a great job creating it.

Helen Ginger said...

Karen, reading about all you do wears me out. That's it. I'm pooped.

Congrats on your award! Well deserved. I love reading your posts.

Helen
Straight From Hel

arlee bird said...

I got tired reading your schedule-- I admire your energy. I guess when you're doing things you love you get a boost.

Hope you'll check out my memoir column I will post this Wednesday. It's a story about my mother. I was reminded about your interest in memoirs as I wrote it.

By the way----
check out the VBT Writers on the Move blog today. I won an opportunity to be profiled on their site and it appears today:

http://vbt-writersonthemove.blogspot.com/2009/12/arlee-bird-and-desert-place.html

Lee

Patricia Stoltey said...

You really are amazing, Karen. I'd collapse if I tried to keep up with your schedule.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Sounds like a great concert you gave! Maybe the lady was just sad because the song reminded her of days gone by.

Potato latkes sound delicious! I think I'd eat them with the sour cream. Yum yum! May have to look up a recipe online...

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Karen Walker said...

Patricia, I did collapse. Today!
Yes, Elizab eth, they are delicious. Someone made them with green chile added (a very new twist).
Lee, I'll definitely check it out.
Helen, pooped is the right word. I'm good for nothing today.
Jane, yes, Elizabeth is truly amazing!
Jody, Joanne, and Diane, yes, singing is energizing--right after the performance. Then I crash.
Tab, I don't think I'll be creating anything anytime soon--having enough trouble finding energy to create my blogs and work on new writing.
Blessings,
Karen

Elspeth Antonelli said...

Potato latkes are one the best things in the world. Yum, yum, yum. What a busy few days you've had! Take a moment and relax. Sip some tea. I admire your drive.

Elspeth

carolynyalin said...

Reading about your weekend makes me tired!
Congrats on the award.

Linda said...

And I thought I had a busy weekend! You have more energy than I do, girl!