Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, January 25, 2010

Fragility

Normally, Monday's are my weekend-wrap up blog, but today is different. Because Saturday my 54-year-old brother-in-law had a stroke. He's got weakness on his right side and we won't know what the long-term damage is for awhile. And they are doing tests to find out where the blood clot originated. We can't tell his mom (my mother-in-law) because she is so fragile right now, I'm afraid she'll have a stroke because of his stroke.

Then Sunday morning I got to mom's to visit with her and she was collapsed on her bed. Took her to the emergency room only to find out she has acute leukemia. She'll be gone in a matter of days to a month, they said. She's 89 and said she's lived a good, blessed, long life, so she's okay with it all. She's the most amazing woman I have ever known.

It's made me realize just how fragile life is. I've realized this before--when my mother went to sleep one night and was gone the next morning. Just like that (snap fingers here). Or when I took a ride on my brand new bike and 2 hours later I was in the emergency room with an ankle fractured in 3 places. Or, or, or.

So, today, more than, ever, I am determined to live each moment to the fullest. To not waste a single second. Because life is fragile and precious and unpredictable.
My blogging will be sporadic for the next week or so as we try to decide where mom should spend her last days and be with her. I won't be visiting your blogs--I'll miss you all. Be back in touch soon as I can.

Blessings,
Karen

13 comments:

Tabitha Bird said...

Karen, I am really sad to hear about your mother in law and your brother-law. Look after you this week. Life is fragile hey. I too am trying to live it to the fullest. One day at a time. One full moment at a time. :)

Blessings to you and your family. Thinking of you all :)

Cyndi said...

I'm so sorry Karen. I never know what to say to people who are confronted with such devastating news except that...I'm sorry.

I do appreciate your attitude about it all. Although extremely painful, it's so true. Life is fragile and not to be wasted.

I'll be thinking of you.

Tamika: said...

Karen, I'm praying for you and your family. I trust that God will comfort and keep you during this time.

Mason Canyon said...

Do want you need to do and realize that you and your family are in the prayers and thoughts of your blogging buddies. I haven't "known" you long but I realize what a kind and caring person you are. May these days bring memories that will lighten your thoughts later.

Jody Hedlund said...

Hi Karen, Don't you worry at all about visiting blogs. Right now you've got to live each moment to its fullest with your mother-in-law. Blessings to you and keep us posted.

Joanne said...

I'm so very sorry to read this, Karen. I hope your brother in law recovers soon, and am wishing you much peace together with your mom at this time.

Marvin D Wilson said...

You do what you have to do and take care of your loved ones and yourself. Don't worry about us here in Bloggydom - we'll be here when you get back.Prayers and postivie energy heading your way from The Old Silly

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Karen, I'm so sorry that you're going through all of this right now! Sometimes it just seems like it all happens at once. 54 is just incredibly young to have a stroke. Your mother in law seems like she has such a wonderful attitude. Please take care and know I'll think and pray for you...

Elizabeth

Patricia Stoltey said...

Karen, I am so sorry to hear about your family's sorrows. I'm not sure why so many things seem to happen at once in our lives, but it sure makes us pause and think about life and how precious it is. My thoughts and prayers are with you....Pat

Elspeth Antonelli said...

Oh, how this post resonates with me! My sister-in-law passed away last weekend after a 4 year fight with breast cancer. Her funeral was this Saturday. Life is fragile. It's a gift.

Martha Nichols said...

Karen, take care o yourself during this difficult time. I can really relate to your sense of life's fragility and preciousness.

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

My thoughts, prayers and heart go out to you during these difficult trials. I pray that you will be supported and comforted. Will miss you while your away.

Crystal Clear Proofing said...

Blessings, Karen.