Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Friends and Family

It's astounding how family and friends come together, quickly, and easily, when there's a crisis. With one phone call to one friend, dozens of dishes were delivered to our home so when the family returns from 14 hours at the hospital, we don't have to think or worry about what to eat. Meat loaf, pasta salad, fruit salad, bagels...all here waiting.

Four out of mom's five children are here to be with her and to help handle all the details. Her youngest son is in the hospital, recovering from a stroke. It is so hard not to be able to support him because we are all dealing with mom.

I am now a huge fan of Skype. Mom was able to see her grandchildren and they could see her, on a computer screen, but it was the only way they could say goodbye to each other. For the grandkids, it was very needed. For mom, somewhere, I am sure she was aware of what was happening, but she couldn't communicate it.

She is no longer eating or drinking, so we know it won't be long for her. A priest came yesterday and did holy communion for the family. It was very moving and meant a great deal to mom, and to us.

Thank you all for your loving thoughts and wishes during this trying time.
Blessings,
Karen

12 comments:

Joanne said...

You have a wonderful support system there to help each other through this sad time. And what an amazing tool technology is, helping to bridge your family together too. My thoughts are with you.

Cyndi said...

I'm so sorry Karen (again). Thank god for family and friends. Thinking of you.

Mason Canyon said...

It's wonderful that everyone is able to say their goodbyes. In times like this, modern technology is a very wonderful thing to allow families to be together. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Tamika: said...

Family is a wonderful net of love, thank God for that.

My prayers are with you!

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I'm so glad that she was able to say goodbye to her grandchildren...that's so important. And I'm glad there has been such support within your family. I know this is such a rough time, though. My prayers are with you...

Elizabeth

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Glad everyone came together to help.

Prayers with you, Karen.

I'm glad she saw the grandchildren. That will help everyone with closure.

My husband's grandmother had eveloped diabetes, was losing her toes & feet, and on dialysis. She decided she was done, but she waited until everyone had made a visit to see her (which happened over a three month span of time.) We were the last. We left on Sunday to drive back to NM, and Monday morning, she announced she was no longer taking dialysis. She died a week later. However, we all got to spend some quality time with her.

Jen Chandler said...

Oh Karen, I am so sorry! I got behind on my reading so this is the first I've heard of your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you. What a wonderful thing that she got to say goodbye to the grandchildren. They will remember that and cherish it.

Blessings, friend,
Jen

Sally said...

Karen- will be holding you and your family in prayer. I am so glad that your family is paying attention and saying good-bye... that you are taking care of each other and have those who love you taking care of you....

Tabitha Bird said...

Thinking of you Karen. It sounds like you and your family and friends are rallied around. What a blessing. :)

Elspeth Antonelli said...

I'm so glad you've got such a large supportive network around you. Sleep when you can. My thoughts are with you.

carolynyalin said...

Oh Karen, I've been offline and just read this and the last post.
I'm thinking of you and your family and wishing the best for you all.

Patricia Stoltey said...

Thank goodness for family and friends. You are truly blessed. I wish you and your family peace.