Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Telling the Truth Tuesday - down for the count

I held off the illness for as long as possible - then kaboom. By Sunday, I had a full-blown upper respiratory/sinus thingie goin' on. I don't have time to be sick. Who does? There are places to go, people to see, things on the to-do list to get done, writing that isn't happening. And forget about exercise.

But I have learned that if I am not listening to the whispers of Spirit, Spirit will find a way to get my attention. And sometimes that is getting sick. Then I have to stop.

So what is the message I'm not hearing? Give myself time to be--to get quiet and allow the writing to come. Stop filling every moment with stuff--even if it's stuff I enjoy. When I ask myself why I am not doing this, the answer comes swift and clear: You can't allow yourself to have what you want.

It seems as if everything I've wanted in this life, I fall just short of the real goal. I didn't find an agent for my memoir and ended up self-publishing. My first marriage ended in divorce and I lost custody of my child when all I'd wanted was to have a happy family--this list could grow into a nonfiction book, so I'll stop here.

The point is, I allow this negative thinking to stop me from doing what I want to do. I didn't find an agent for the memoir, so I probably won't find an agent for anything else I write and I don't think I'm willing to spend the money to self-publish again, so what's the point of writing if no one will ever read it?

Because what I know now is that I need to express myself. It is a deep-seated core need. Even if only one person, my husband, sees and hears me, I need that. I think we all do. Otherwise, what are we doing here?

So, I am committing myself to this new writing project and telling those negative voices inside my head to shut up and leave. I am taking the actions (writing) and letting go of the results (agents/publishing) until I have a completed manuscript. Then I can tackle the trying to get published issues.

What's stopping you from doing what you want to do?
Blessings,
Karen

P.S.Thanks to Diane for gifting me with this lovely Circle of Friends award. According to the rules, I must pass it along to five blogging friends. That is hard, since there are so many to choose from. But here goes. I hereby pass this along to:
Tabitha Bird
Joanne
Jody Heglund
Patricia Stoltey
Suzanne

14 comments:

Crystal Clear Proofing said...

Being overwhelmed by all that needs to be done. I have to really watch myself and not get stuck in that *OMG there is SO much!* trap. I have to remind myself that I can only do so much, without getting totally stressed out, or sick. Sometimes it's not actually a virus or other illness, it's me. My belly. Nerves attack my belly and that makes me just about as worthless as if I were sick with a *bug*.

See I expect this to be something you learn and then just live it. I've realized that there are just some things that I have to always work on. Especially the more busy I get. ---Oh, there I go!

Cyndi said...

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

Congrats on award!

Yuk on the respiratory illness! Hope you're feeling better ASAP!

I'm dealing with the hectic stuff in my life right now and find it's time to step back, breathe and re-evaluate my plans but most of all to ask the Lord where He wants me to be and to go. When I don't do that, I usually have a flare up of my chronic health problems and that sure does stop me in my tracks and give me time to pray and ponder.

Mason Canyon said...

Congratulations on the award.

It's hard not to let the negative things control you. Finding that positive energy to overcome that says wonderful things about you (and your work). Don't give up. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Joanne said...

Thanks so much for the Award, Karen, and including me in your "Circle of Friends" ;) It's always nice to know our blogs are so enjoyed! I'm glad you're moving forward with your novel writing, too. Right now, I'm at a point where I am doing what I want to do, working at it every day, and loving it.

arlee bird said...

What interferes with the things I want to do are the things I need to do, the things that I have to do, and the things I feel obligated to do. I guess I've got to do them all, or as much as I can, and still try to find some time for what I want to do. There's never enough time.
Lee

Helen Ginger said...

Congrats on the wonderful award. For me, it's difficult to stay focused when I'm going in five different directions at once. I'm working on staying focused on one thing at a time.

Get well soon, Karen.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

My life is so FULL that I have a really hard time settling down. But I'm getting better--probably 50% of my days have some scheduled downtime in them now. I'm working on it!

You're so right, by the way--one thing at a time.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder
Mystery Lovers’ Kitchen

The Old Silly said...

I used to get a knock down, go to bed for 2-3 days, do not do anything, and do not go past go and collect $200 and just suffer and get all the crap out of your system with a nasty head cold and/or flu -- at least once a year, when I was a younger man. Then I started listening more closely to my body and taking breaks when I felt it needed it. I seldom get sick anymore like that, just the same old arthritic complaint all the time, lol.

Sounds like you're getting tuned in nicely, on the right path.

Marvin D Wilson

Patricia Stoltey said...

Karen -- Congratulations on The Circle of Friends award and thanks so much for including me in your circle. I'm so pleased that you're throwing off those negative thoughts and attacking your novel with gusto. Your self-publishing experience was a great learning process so you should be proud of all the hard work you put into it. Who knows what's around the next bend?

I'm in a very good place right now, happily living in the moment and feeling extra good about everything (not counting the creaky knees, of course). These things seem to go in cycles, like the weather and political opinion, so I'm trying to make the most of it while I have it. Maybe that's why I've escaped all the germs and viruses this year -- hope yours disappear soon and that you feel much, much better.

Elspeth Antonelli said...

Congratulations on the award; what a nice hug to you across the internet! What's stopping me? Honestly? A wicked combination of self-doubt and procrastination.

Elspeth

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Tell those negative voices "La la la la - I'm not listening!" (Remember to insert fingers in ears.)

Jody Hedlund said...

Thank you for the award, Karen!! And I think it's so easy to fall into the trap of listening to the negative whispers. But really, I try each day to wake up and embrace the positive and see the joy of each day. I may not end the day on that note, but I truly do try to refocus my outlook every morning!

Suzyhayze said...

Thank you so much Karen. It means so much to me right now you don't even know.

XO