Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Telling the Truth Tuesday - no time to lose

Over the weekend I saw a movie I'd missed first time around - Iris. Starring Kate Winslet and Judi Dench, it tells the story of a prolific and successful writer, Iris Murdoch, a woman to whom words mean everything. Then Alzheimer's hits and she cannot even recognize the word DOG. It was depressing as hell, but a message rang loud and clear. DO WHAT YOU LOVE AND DO IT NOW BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT IS AROUND THE CORNER. I don't mean this as a doomsday message. I simply mean we may not have as much time as we want or need and time is so very precious. I am trying my best not to waste it. Are you?
Blessings,
Karen

16 comments:

The Old Silly said...

Absolutely. At some point in life you "grow up" and realize how precious life and the limited amount of time in it really is, hmm?

Marvin D Wilson

Cyndi said...

This post is timely. The recent death of one of my best friends has really hammered his sentiment home for me. I was thinking of blogging about it but also didn't want it to sound like a doomsday message! Anyway...I obviously agree and yes, I am trying my best too. Thanks for the reminder!

Crystal Clear Proofing said...

Everyone needs to be reminded of this. I lost my mom to cancer after four short months - if that isn't a smack of reality!

Stephanie Faris said...

Good point. I don't think I ever saw that movie but I need to check it out.

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

I hear you loud and clear!! As I'm approaching 64 years old, I am coming to an acceptance of where I am, forgiving my past and living my life to the fullest that God allows me to.

My late husband was the joy of my life and suddenly he was taken from me. Regrets? Oh lots! I could've...should've...wish I hadn't... You get the picture.

The Lord was merciful and loving and provided another incredible, wonderful husband in my life. I plan on savoring each and every moment with him.

My Mom was my best friend and Alzheimers took her from me for years until she passed away. What I wouldn't give to spend another moment...another day...with her! I think of the times I was so busy with life when I could've enjoyed time with her. Even now, I have no idea what the busy stuff was, but I do remember her.

Tamika: said...

A good friend of mine gave me similar encouragement recently. Work while it is today, for night will come when no man can work.

Linda said...

Karen, what is the name of the movie?

Joanne said...

A reminder that we need to hear from time to time. Life is so precious, when we find our passions, our hearts, we need to live and breathe them, no matter what they are. More than our own lives are fulfilled this way. That way of living touches others too.

Karen Walker said...

Name of the movie is "Iris"

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Every once in a while I try conscious living and making each minute count. Then, somehow, I get sucked back into the craziness of the day.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder
Mystery Lovers’ Kitchen

Patricia Stoltey said...

I also thought Iris a good reminder that we can't count on tomorrow. Better make today the best day of your life.

Elspeth Antonelli said...

That movie is wonderful and possibly one of the best love stories I've ever witnessed portrayed on a screen. The best explanation I ever heard about that disease is "It's not forgetting where you put your keys, it's forgetting what a key is."

Elspeth

Shannon O'Donnell said...

This is always an important reminder. In fact, I don't think we could ever be reminded enough. Thanks for this post. :)

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I try to avoid depressing movies. I do believe it's important not to put things off because you never know...however, I also find that often it is much easier said than done.

Martha Nichols said...

I love the book that the movie is based on, the memoir by Murdoch's husband. I first remember reading some of it in the New Yorker. Powerful stuff.

Tabitha Bird said...

every day is a gift and not a given right. There is a song I know with that exact line in it and it always makes me think about living the moments I have and doing the most with them. I will not settle for an unlived life. Great post. I must see that movie.