Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, January 11, 2010

Weekend Wrap-Up

We are in the process of researching new cars. Hubby's car is 15 years old; mine is 10. If he had his druthers, we'd keep both vehicles till they fall apart. Me, I'd like to get some resale value for mine.
Last weekend, we looked at Toyotas, Hondas, and Ford's. We came away from the experience feeling like old fogey's. We wanted good gas mileage and comfort-- heated seats, padded of course with lumbar support, and a comfy ride - no jostling around from bumpy roads for us. The winner so far--2010 Ford Taurus. My current car is also a Taurus. But it's way expensive, so this weekend we looked at Mazda's as well. The Taurus is still our number one choice. But we're learning we can negotiate. It's a blast being 60 years old and not caring what the car salesman thinks of me. I don't need his approval. I don't need him to like me. I just want the best deal I can get. When he tried to talk me into taking a car on the lot to get closer to my price, I blurted, "If I'm spending _____ f----g dollars for a car, I'm damned well going to get what I want in it!" His jaw dropped and he blushed. Didn't expect a white-haired woman to speak that way. Neither did I!

Not caring what strangers think or whether they like me is one of the most freeing things about aging. I try to be the best person I can be in every moment, but I slip. A lot. I'm human. I apologized to the young man for the language. He just shrugged.

Prior to going to the car dealer, I sang at a rehabilitation facility. One of the songs, "Put on a Happy Face" from Bye Bye Birdie, made just about everyone in the audience smile. How blessed am I to be able to spend time doing what I love and making others happy at the same time?

Blessings,
Karen

11 comments:

Tamika: said...

My husband brought me a car this year- a long time coming too! A 2010 Chevrolet Equinox! I love it. Like you, I knew what I wanted when I paraded the lot, and no one was talking me down.

Joanne said...

We've found that a lot of the new cars really have started skimping on the padding in the seats. Some feel like you're sitting on a downright board! Still, it's always nice driving that new vehicle ... Enjoy your search!

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

You're at a great place in your life to get what you want and be taken seriously! I'd still have to have my husband to go with me as the "heavy" when car shopping. :)

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder
Mystery Lovers’ Kitchen

Jody Hedlund said...

Oh, Karen, I would have loved to see that car salesman's face!! And I love reading your perspective on aging. It's so refreshing!

Helen Ginger said...

You go, girl! What's the fun in being timid? Like Jody, I would have loved to see that salesman's face. I bet he didn't underestimate you after that.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I dislike car shopping with a passion. I also dislike sales people who try to make you feel like you have to settle for something else on their lot instead of what you want. I hope you find exactly what you're looking for.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Karen, that made me laugh out loud! You tell 'em.
And I've owned two Mazdas and highly recommend them. Those suckers will run forever.

Jen Chandler said...

Karen, that's awesome! I admire you, I truly do. That's one of the things I look forward to in the whole aging process. Not caring what people think of me. I'm with Jody and Helen: I would have loved to have seen his face!!!

Happy hunting,
Jen

Elspeth Antonelli said...

There's nothing like that new car smell! I've hungered for a red PT Cruiser for years. Every time we see one driving by my kids say, "Mom, it's your car!"

Elspeth

Tabitha Bird said...

LOL! Your comment to the dealer made me smile! Gosh, I think more of them need to hear that. Give the customer what they want, not what you want to sell them. I was right behind you. :)

Patricia Stoltey said...

We share one car, a 2000 Toyota Camry that just hit 100,000 miles. We both love it so much we hate to even think of car shopping. The thought of dealing with a high pressure car salesman makes my hair stand on end.