Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Baby Steps

Monday was Day One of my commitment to write (and not just these blog posts). A definition of "writing " is in order. It doesn't necessarily mean new words on the page. Included in my idea of writing would be: research, review already written passages, quiet time to think, and reading stuff that might inspire or help with these projects.

I'm feeling rather fragile emotionally right now, so I am definitely taking baby steps. Don't want to put too much pressure on myself, because then I shut down. I am re-starting my appointments with a writing coach, Mark David Gerson, author of "Voice of the Muse." During our last session, which took place in December, I finally understood the connection between singing (why it's become so important to me) and writing. Singing, i.e. using my voice, is all about expression. Much of my healing work while writing my memoir was about being able to express myself. It seems I'm not done. Part of my spiritual journey is still about being silenced. How many times in how many lifetimes have I been silenced? Singing is letting my voice be heard in a way that isn't perfect, which is, in itself, perfect...because it's about expressing--without fear of judgment.

Now to transfer that to these new writing projects...

Blessings,
Karen

10 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

You are taking steps (baby or otherwise) and that is the main thing. It's a beginning and you have to have that to accomplish anything. Baby steps are good. They get you on the right path.

Helen Ginger said...

I like that you're taking this slowly, day by day, step by step. Listen to your coach. I would say, don't rush it, but he will know what's right, it sounds like.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Tamika: said...

Every step counts!

Joanne said...

I love your correlation between singing and writing. Could there be a way to bring singing to your words, song to your writing's theme? Being so passionate about your singing, the concept would just shine!

Ann said...

Creativity in whatever form is expression. Any step large or small is a step in the right direction. Well done.

Cyndi said...

Baby steps are an excellent way to balance pursuing something difficult and taking care of yourself. Write on! :)

The Old Silly said...

Interesting connection, and I agree. Music, my first love and art form, is a major source of inspiration for my muse and writing. In fact, I pay attention to my writing's pace and rhythm, I believe, a lot more than a lot of non-musician writers do, as a direct result of the deeply embedded sense of music and song writing in me. Have you noticed that as well? Guess I'll find out next week when I get a chance to read your book, lol, but just wondered if you notice your prose's rhythm and craft it intentionally like a songwriter would do.

Marvin D Wilson

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Reserch and stuff is definitely writing, Karen!

Stephen Tremp said...

Baby steps is a good way to go. Steady plodding according to a verse in Proverbs. Think I'll watch What About Bob today.

Stephen Tremp

Elspeth Antonelli said...

Any step is progress. Sometimes they are small, sometimes large. And sometimes it's necessary to take a few steps back. I think you're going to be just fine.