Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The end is near

Yesterday, the hospice nurse told us she doesn't think mom will last beyond the end of this week. This is based on her pallor, her demeanor, her breathing, etc. I feel her slipping away more each day. Even when she is awake, she doesn't focus on us. She is somewhere else. I am sure that somewhere else is okay, though, because every once in awhile she gets a beautific smile on her face and whispers, "It's wonderful."
She no longer responds to music in the same way, but it seems to calm her down if she's restless.

She seems to be at peace and comfortable. I am certain she knows she is safe and loved. It is something I wish for all of us.

Blessings,
Karen

14 comments:

Jody Hedlund said...

Been thinking about you, Karen. Praying that you're holding up well under this stressful time.

Sally said...

It seems that the veil gets very thin as people get close to passing from here to the next life. I am fascinated by the things they say- the little tiny glimpses they give. They must be able to see things that we cannot, as so many saw similar things
This song always runs through my mind "we are standing on holy ground... and I know that there are angels all around"

Hang in there Karen... you are doing so well...you are paying attention to the moments. Your mother in law is so blessed to have you.

keeping you in my prayers..

Tamika: said...

Keeping you near in thought and in my prayers.

Joanne said...

Such a difficult and moving time, peace to you and your family.

Mason Canyon said...

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

julielomoe said...

Karen, thank you for sharing your experience with us - I hope it helps.

My mother died in 1970 at age 61, and I wasn't with her for the final process, but I visited Milwaukee frequently during her long decline following a fall and a subdural hematoma. Last time I saw her, I showed her slides of my latest paintings, and she said, "Why are they all so dark and gloomy? Life is beautiful and wonderful." Not like her at all, but people may tap into higher truths when they're near the end - even with dementia.

Julie Lomoe's Musings Mysterioso
http://julielomoe.wordpress.com

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

It sounds like she's transitioning to a wonderful place!

Elizabeth

Sharon Lippincott said...

I have goosebumps. How mystically beautiful that you are able to watch her "peer through the veil." My aunt held conversations with her dead husband for a couple of weeks before she joined him.

For over a year before her passing, my mom had been 98% unresponsive as they continued to bundle her into a wheelchair and take her to the feeding room. She was there when she left. For a few seconds her face lit with rapturous joy, and her paralyzed arm joined the other, lifting high to embrace whatever she saw ahead before her spirit took wing and her body slumped. I'm so thankful her feeding aid shared this story with us since Mother chose to depart without any (living) family in attendance.

Can you look over Mom's shoulder as she peers ahead? I sense that you recognize the experience of witnessing this gradual transition as a gift she is bestowing. May it bring peace and strength to all of you.

Jen Chandler said...

My prayers are with you and your mother. As hard as it is to watch them go, knowing they are seeing a beautiful place up ahead makes it a little more bearable. A very little but every bit helps.

Blessings and peace to you, friend.

Hugs,
Jen

Elspeth Antonelli said...

"It's wonderful" is a lovely thing for her to be saying as the end draws near. You're constantly in my thoughts, Karen.

Karen Walker said...

You guys are giving me goose bumps. I feel as if you are all here with me. In times like this, it is easy to see the universe as kind and loving.
Karen

The Old Silly said...

I will pray for a peaceful, pleasant passing. Sounds like she's in a good space, ready. I can only hope and pray I have such a loving, peaceful transition when it's my time.

Marvin D Wilson

L. Diane Wolfe said...

My prayers for you and your family as you watch all of this unfold.
You've obviously given her great peace in her final days. That's more than most of us will get.

DebraLSchubert said...

Prayers for you and your mom, Karen. My husband was with both of his parents at the end - it's a blessing to be able to do so. I wish you and your family peace at this most difficult time. "It's wonderful." Extraordinary.

BTW: Stop by my blog if you get a chance. You're mentioned in my vlog!