Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Telling the Truth Tuesday - No more excuses

I say I'm a writer. I spent the last 10 years of my life writing and publishing a memoir. That's a long time and a lot of energy. For the last two years, I was caregiver to my mother-in-law. From 2001 to 2004, I was caregiver to my dad. Those two things alone gave me many excuses for not writing.

Or there was my weight. Obsessing about what I could and couldn't eat, how fat I was, making healthy choices about food--all of this took a lot of time and energy as well.

And then there are relationships--time with hubby, my son, hanging out with friends, family obligations--these things take time as well.

Well, now I'm about to turn 61. I'm thin (yup, been that way for a couple of years now)--no longer obsess about food. Relationships will not disappear, thank goodness. I simply need to prioritize my time. The caregiving needs are gone. No more parents to care for.

So I am out of excuses. If I don't write, something else is going on. I have every intention of prioritizing my days: exercise, write, practice singing. Those are my key to do's. The house gets cleaned by someone else. I do have to shop and cook, but my crock pot is my new best friend. Laundry can be done while I write--I just have to remember to shift a load from the washer to the dryer.

The emphasis of this blog will more than likely shift as I move into the energy of the new pieces. I will probably blog a bit about process. One of the books just might be a series of essays. Perhaps one or two will show up here first as a test run. We'll see how this all shakes out. It will be a journey, to be sure. Hope you'll come along.

Blessings,
Karen

17 comments:

Cyndi said...

I, for one, am excited about this! I write strictly non-fiction (on my blog and my never-seem-to-be-completed memoir). I have no interest in fiction at this point. You may have felt that way at some point too. I look forward to reading about your process and how you craft a book in a completely different genre for the first time.

Joanne said...

Count me in. A whole latte exciting things coming up here! It's a great energy to feel, isn't it?

Crystal Clear Proofing said...

I'll be here following your journey Karen! You write with honesty and openness. You write from the heart! I'm looking forward to seeing how things develop now in your world!

Mason Canyon said...

Looking forward to the ride. With you leading, it will have to be a memorable adventure. :)

Ann said...

Looking forward to reading all about this new path your process is about to take.

arlee bird said...

Good luck to your new direction. It's always amazing how many things can distract us from what we want or really need to do. I look forward to reading what's coming up.
Lee

Helen Ginger said...

Sounds exciting and I'm looking forward to following you on your new path and journey.

Helen
http://straightfromhel.blogspot.com/2010/02/contests-and-authors.html

Helen Ginger said...

Karen, my apologies for the direct link to today's post on my blog in my previous comment. That's happens when I'm distracted by giant snowflakes falling on my lawn. Something we don't see very often in my part of TX.

Helen

L. Diane Wolfe said...

There's a saying - "People will do what they want to do."
If it's a priority, we'll do it.
And congrats on staying thin.

Karen Walker said...

Thanks everyone for the support and encouragement. Helen, no worries about the link -- it's fine. Yeah, Diane, staying thin is cool!
It takes managing my food, but it comes easy now, not obsessively.
Karen

Elspeth Antonelli said...

Lace up those shoes, Karen and welcome to the road. Sure it's muddy every now and then, and there are twists and u-turns and nasty uphill climbs - but the view at the end is absolutely worth it!

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I enjoyed reading your memoir and I am looking forward to reading some of your essays. Good luck on the prioritizing your time – I haven’t mastered that yet.

alexisgrant said...

Awesome! I'm sure you'll be able to accomplish whatever you put your mind to. And you've hit the nail on the head with the excuses talk -- our biggest obstacle in life is often ourselves.

Tamika: said...

Just returning from a blog break, Karen I'm so sorry for you loss. You all are in my prayers.

I know you will have tremendous joy during this next season of your journey. I look forward to seeing all that God has in store for you.

Patricia Stoltey said...

New beginnings can be a great adventure, Karen. Just remember you're having fun with your writing (even when it begins to feel like work).

Sally said...

you write from such a place of honesty Looking forward to reading about your process and progress

and while you're blogging away- would love if you would share with us how you made your peace w food/weight.....

Karen Walker said...

Jane, I'm always surprised when someone tells me they read my memoir (and liked it). Thanks for that.
Sally, thanks for acknowledging my honesty - it's not always easy to be so open. My weight issues are chronicled extensively in my memoir. I also think there are a few pieces on my website: http://www.followingthewhispers.com
I'd be happy to talk with you via email as well: karen@followingthewhispers.com