Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, February 8, 2010

Weekend update

As bad as Thursday was, that is how wonderful Friday was. We woke mom at 6:30 to give her meds. She was perky, alert, and hungry. On Thursday, she didn't eat or drink anything. Friday, she had muffin and pudding, with coffee and 1/2 an Ensure for breakfast. In the morning, the hospice nurse came and spent an hour. The home health aide was here from 7:30 am to 1:30 pm. For lunch, mom had 1/2 a grilled cheese sandwich and ice cream. For dinner, some split pea soup, a few bites of fish and mashed potatoes. Earlier in the day she wanted to go for a walk. She's completely bedridden. She forgot.

We were visiting together and she said how nice it was that all these people were coming to see her and take care of her. I said, You deserve it, mom." She said she didn't. I asked why. She said she didn't do much. I begged to differ. I said," You raised five kids practically alone, were on the school board, started the Pink Ladies."

She lit up and said, "When I die, I want you to talk about that...the Pink Ladies." She couldn't remember the name of the doctor who helped get it started, so we called her best friend and they had a great conversation. It was Dr. Horn. She says she wants to talk some more about what she wants said about her.

Then Paul, the chaplain came by and she just chattered away for about a half hour. She teared up when we said a prayer together. Then he sang Amazing Grace and left.

Right after that, our friend came over with her daughters. The younger one is 10 and plays the guitar. She played 3 songs and we all sang. Oh, earlier in the morning, my trio practiced and mom really enjoyed that.
In the afternoon, I put on Glenn Miller and she danced with her hands from the bed. It doesn't get better than that.

I tell you, these emotional ups and downs from one day to the next just might kill me first!! (Only kidding).
Saturday, hubby and I got out for the morning, while the aide was here. It was the first time out of the house since we brought her home and I had fun running errands. Got me a new touch screen cell phone. God help me, now I have to learn to use it! Spent a couple of hours with a close friend Saturday evening, just yakking. Heavenly.

Mom's was looking forward all week to Superbowl. I'm not a football fan, so one of mom's sons and his wife came over to watch part of the game with her. Her superbowl party consisted of her favorite foods: meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and coconut cake. Even if she only took a bite of each.

Blessings,
Karen

12 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Sounds like a fine couple of days to remember, Karen! Hope she enjoyed the Super Bowl.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

It sounds like an emotional roller coaster, Karen! I'm glad you were able to take a break Saturday...it's so important to do that, especially when you're under stress.

Elizabeth

Mason Canyon said...

Sounds like you're handling the days well. Taking time for yourself is good. You have to re-charge to be at your best for her. It also sounds like you're helping her enjoy her time with family and friends and remembering.

Joanne said...

What a fulfilling weekend, for everyone involved! Kudos to you for allowing all this to happen, in your own home.

Tamika: said...

Thank God for the sunshine to light our days. Even with the roller coaster of emotions, those moments of normalcy are needed.

Elspeth Antonelli said...

What a gift you're giving her! I read these posts with tears in my eyes. You're a good soul, Karen.

The Old Silly said...

That is so cool and special she got to watch the super bowl with her sons. Nice, Karen, very nice.

Marvin D Wilson

Helen Ginger said...

What a beautiful weekend you and she had. Reading about it just made me smile. I hope you and she will have many more days like these and few bad days.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Jody Hedlund said...

Sounds like it was truly a beautiful weekend. Sending warm thoughts your way, Karen.

carolynyalin said...

I'm glad there are some nice new memories still being made.

Stephen Tremp said...

These are the kind of blogs I like to read. Especially on Monday morning. Have a great week.

Stephen Tremp

Tabitha Bird said...

Wonderful memories :) Beautifully written too. Thanks for sharing.