Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Assimilating transitions

Monday was the first day of this new time in my life--my time. I didn't do much writing--just a wee bit of research. I'm trying to decide what century the novel takes place in, but didn't find much to help me decide.
But hey, it was something. I'm trying not to put too much pressure on myself, because frankly, I'm kinda exhausted.

Tomorrow I've scheduled my "day of indulgence." This was my assignment from my writing coach, Mark David Gerson, who said, "Even God took a day off." I'm going to use the gift certificate I received for Christmas for a European facial. I've never had one. Not something I'd ever choose to do on my own.

Yesterday, after an early morning doctor appointment, I got to work. As long as I stayed centered, I did fine. Allowed myself to move through the day, shifting from one thing to another as I felt like it. If I'm meant to write these books, they will emerge, in their own time and in their own way. I just need to open myself to the process. I am doing that a bit more each day as I assimilate the changes brought about by this huge transition in my life. When nothing came for any of the three books, I wrote about how hard writing is, cursing as I went along. That led to a shift in energy and I thought and wrote about intention. Each piece has an intention. I like setting intentions rather than goals.

Blessings,
Karen

7 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

The European facial sounds very relaxing. No telling what characters and actions will pop into your head while you're relaxing with that. Sounds like you're on track. Good luck.

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I agree with Mason. Sometimes I feel like my best ideas jump out when I’m least expecting them. That could happen to you during the facial so make sure you have a notebook with you just in case.

Joanne said...

I consider all that you did "writing." Writing is such an intricate process, reining in our thoughts, intentions, drive, and focusing it through the lens of our words. One day at a time ...

The Old Silly said...

"I like setting intentions rather than goals."

I like that, and tend to agree. Setting goals sets you up to feel like a failure if you don't accomplish them. Setting intentions puts you on a course where you can accomplish and feel good when you do, or if life takes you another way you can go there without feeling like you've left something undone, hmm?

Marvin D Wilson

Tamika: said...

Writing is a painful process sometimes. Wonderful idea to write about your frustrations.

Enjoy the facial, they are great! You will be glowing!

Stephen Tremp said...

Life is all about perspective. Thanks for the attitude adjustment. I needed that.

Stephen Tremp

Helen Ginger said...

This is so interesting. Thank you for letting us ride along with you on this leg of your journey.

Helen
Straight From Hel