Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Childhood dreams

I don't think I really felt happy until I began fulfilling childhood dreams. As those of you who have been following this blog for awhile already know, music was a source of joy and a way for me to soothe myself, to block out the screaming matches between my parents. From the time I could walk and talk, I listened to favorite records, singing along. But it wasn't until I was in my fifties that I took that a step further.

First, I learned chords on a guitar so I could accompany myself. That parlayed into group sing-a-longs. Next, I took singing lessons, where I discovered that if I tried to sing solo, I became paralyzed with fear. Now, I am singing with a trio at retirement communities on a regular basis, both solos and group songs, and the stage fright has disappeared.

One of my childhood dreams was to be part of a girl group: The Ronettes (Be My Baby), Peter, Paul, and Mary, I didn't care which one. But the one song I've wanted to sing since the Teddy Bears made it popular is To Know Him Is to Love Him. Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris did a beautiful rendition of it in the 70s (I think), with exquisite three-part harmony.  My trio is doing that song now, with me singing melody and the other two doing high and low harmony. My heart does a happy dance inside my chest every time we sing it.

I'm not sure what it is about doing something we wanted to do as children, but I don't think we should let those dreams die. I never tried to live a dream of being a professional singer. Thank goodness, because I'm no way good enough. But doing it this way, non-professionally, with other friends who love to sing, is so soul-satisfying.

What childhood dreams did you have? What would it mean to live one out?

Blessings,
Karen

4 comments:

Crystal Clear Proofing said...

Karen, your posts are always so heartfelt; this one especially touched me. My heart is doing a happy dance right now.

I've always loved words; anything having to do with words. I love to read and even before any kind of education geared toward editing, the syntax and flow of words always came natural to me. My teachers always told me I should pursue writing. I started out with English Composition, Creative Writing, Journalism – but my real love is editing.

Next month I will hit a milestone by turning 50. That still seems unreal in many ways! I mention that simply because I'm now living my dream. Oh, I've been editing for years; but when I made the monumental decision to start my own business … well, that gives credence to the saying that "life begins at fifty!" LOL!

In the comments I'm leaving today I'm spreading HAPPY in wishing everyone a great day, since March 4 is the equivalent of a holiday for grammarians. It's National Grammar Day! Not a big deal to most people I'm sure, but for me, it's definitely a reason to "happy dance" all day! LOL!

I think it's important (even vital) to live out your dreams. It's never too late to pursue a childhood love, and the joy you get in working toward that goal and watching from the sidelines as your dream is realized is one of the most rewarding things we can experience.

Patricia Stoltey said...

This question made me chuckle because so many of my childhood dreams were not possible. I dreamed of being a ballerina, but I'm not thin and I have bad knees. I dreamed of being a cowboy like the ones in Zane Grey novels, but I'm not into time travel. I dreamed of reading all the books in the world. I guess I don't need to elaborate on that.

My writing dream didn't really form until I was finishing high school, so I guess that's the one I'm finally fulfilling after all these years.

The Old Silly said...

Well I had many childhood dreams, from being a firefighter to a super hero or an army hero, to the President of the USA, to a preacher. I even had this narcissistic fantasy that my entire life was being filmed by hidden cameras and that one day an epic movie would be made of me, the life story about greatest man who ever lived. LOL, hey I've started reading your memoir (really enjoying it, btw), so it seems we had completely opposite delusions as kids, hmm?

Anyway, at age 14 The Beatles invaded the US, I watched the Ed Sullivan show and from then on I had to become a rock star. Never made it to rock star, but I did live out, at least in some measure, one of my teen dreams, of playing rock and roll, travelling and gigging and doing the whole music scene, complete with lotsa groupies! (wink)

Another fine, heartfelt post, Karen.

Marvin D Wilson

Helen Ginger said...

I wanted to be a singer. Not gonna happen since I can't carry a note. Wanted to be an actress. Ha! Wanted to be a writer. I'm working on it.

Helen
Straight From Hel