Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Computer glitches

I have a Toshiba laptop. I bought it because the keyboard felt most like a typewriter, with raised keys. For the most part, it's worked really well. Till Sunday, that is. We've been using the Toshiba Movie Factory software to make DVD's from videos. This time, it stopped in the middle of loading clips into the program. No matter what we did, it stopped every time.

We called Toshiba Tech Support. They told us to delete the program and install it again. We deleted the program, but then couldn't find the software on Toshiba's website to re-install. Hubby left on a business trip Monday morning, so I was left on my own to try to resolve this. I called Tech Support. They gave me a tinyurl for the software. I downloaded it. The program still doesn't show up on my computer. The videos we downloaded from our camera cannot be seen because there is no software to show them.

These are the kinds of things that make me want to pick up whatever it is that has the glitch and toss it out the freakin' window. My tolerance for repeated attempts to get tech support that is anything but supportive is zero. Now, I have had extremely good experiences with tech support from Norton, for example. When my computer got a virus a few weeks ago, they were fantastic. Expensive, but fantastic.

I'm wondering, do I call Microsoft and see if there is other software on my computer already that I can use? Windows Media Player has now stopped functioning as well, since I deleted the original movie program. And I can't restore the system - it won't restore.

I don't expect anyone to solve this dilemma for me. I just felt like whining and complaining a bit to people who have probably experienced similar issues. Oh, and by the way, I still don't have the new car. Let's commiserate...

Blessings,
Karen

12 comments:

Tamika: said...

Oh Karen- you are having a time! My computer savvy skills are virtually non existant, but I pray you make some head way soon.

Mason Canyon said...

Oh, we could have a pitty party and a half with your luck and mine with techno stuff. I understand wanting to throw it through a window. I had when you have a problem, call up tech support and they act like your crazy because the program is not doing what it's suppose to. Half the time they act like they don't believe you. Good luck.

Joanne said...

My tech skills are next to nothing. One of our computers is an old Dell desktop, which I still keep and use because when I bought it, it came with LIFETIME free telephone tech support. And their tech support has gotten me out of a jam more than once. Good luck!!

arlee bird said...

Aaaaaaaaaargghhhhh! I hate computer problems. When everything's working good then it's all great. But when things are not right, it can become a time-sucking nightmare. I've been wanting to do some video stuff as well, but haven't found the time yet. And if I find the time to start, will I really have the time to do it. !!!!!
Lee

T. Anne said...

I really wish I was a techie. I have had so many problems with computers over the years you would think I'd be an expert by now. My mac is lovely. Perhaps the best out of a string of laptops that have come my way. It's not perfect but it's up there.

Cyndi said...

I feel your pain. I had a horrendous experience with Best Buy that I devoted probably 8 entire blog posts to complaining about. Hope it gets fixed soon! :)

Elspeth Antonelli said...

My only solution to computer problem is either trying System Restore or swearing mightily. You might try the first - or the second.

Still no car??? *growl of impatience*

L. Diane Wolfe said...

And hubby left you with this mess? I'd have no clue. My hubby is the computer genius in our house.

Karen Walker said...

Still no car, still with computer glitch. Still dealing with doggie issues. Hubby had no choice about this trip. Not his fault. I've let go about the computer glitch for now. Car will come when it comes - can't control it - have to let go. Doggie issue are a different story. Just trying to distract self. Thanks, all.
Karen

Marvin D Wilson said...

I have an IT guy at my church who's (god bless him) saved my computer and my sanity more than once. I have a propensity for getting virus infections and Trojans that swoop in and start messing everything up. The last time he had to wipe my hard drive completely clean - fortuantely he was able to back up all my important files first - and reinstall everything. The good thing is when he reload programs he upgraded me to Windows XP Pro with 2007 version of Microsoft Office - which is way cooler than the old 2003 version I was using.

The Old Silly

Helen said...

You are having a stretch of bad mojo here, Karen. I can't help you with computer problems. I'm a nitwit at that. I do believe that if a tech guy really wanted to, he could just peek at your computer from wherever he is and fix it. Look at all the hacking they do on TV shows. It oughta work that way. Then after it's fixed, you change your password. (He could hack it again, but maybe it would slow him down.)

Helen
Straight From Hel

Sharon Lippincott said...

Suppose we could build a new pueblo and live on corn and beans? I'm soooo tempted!