Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Excitement of New Things

First of all, Happy St. Patrick's Day!
A while back, I posted about our new car search. We looked at and test drove Hondas, Mazdas, Toyotas, Hyundais...hubby at first was not interested in Hybrids. But once he discovered his employer would offer cash back for employees purchasing Hybrids, we explored them. I fell in love with the Ford Fusion Hybrid. Not only does it have all the features I was looking for, it gets 41 mpg in the city and 36+ on the highway. It was due 3/15. I'm writing this Tuesday for a Wednesday post so I hope I'll be able to tell y'all on Thursday that it's parked in our garage.

I thought I was someone that really isn't into gadgets and toys and buying things just 'cause I want them. But it turns out, that's not true. I saw my son and other young people with iphones and wanted one. I ended up with a Droid. When my sister-in-law showed up with a little netbook, I just had to have one to travel with.

Up until this point in my life, I only allowed myself the things I needed. Want was a whole different animal. It got me thinking about where pleasure comes from. There are deeply satisfying pleasures derived from spirituality--walking in nature, connecting with Spirit, intimate conversations with friends or partners. There are momentary pleasures which come from eating something yummy, or hearing a favorite song, seeing a great movie.

Where does getting something you want fit in? How much is okay? When does it cross over into greed? For me, when we decided to purchase the new car (it had been 10 years since our last new car purchase), I worked out a budget so that we would no longer just spend without thinking about it.

What about you? What do you want? Do you allow yourself to have what you want? Curious minds want to know...

Blessings,
Karen

15 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

Usually when I want something (like a new gadget) I think about it and weigh the pros and cons so much by the time I decide to get, it's already out dated. LOL.

Marvin D Wilson said...

I want me a great big ol' widescreen HD TV! Like as in 6' wide, with surround sound system. That's what I want. And by golly sooner or later I'm gettin' me one!

The Old Silly

Joanne said...

I'm like Mason, if it's purely a want with no real need, I think before I buy. And I love those little netbook computers that can so easily go anywhere! I'll definitely find a way to make that one a need ...

Ann said...

My mother once noted, "Everything comes to those who wait, Ann it seems you are one of those who must wait and wait and wait." She was right. LOL

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Right now there’s nothing on my “I got to have it list” other than books. But I don’t think there is anything wrong with occasionally treating yourself to something you really want.

Helen Ginger said...

I'm not a spender. Usually when I get new stuff it's because my husband insisted and then went with me to make sure I bought it.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Karen Walker said...

It's funny because it's not like I had a wish list or anything for things I absolutely wanted. It's never been easy for me to spend money on myself - for anything - even clothing. But now that I've lost 48 pounds, shopping for clothes is fun! It's not about the clothes fitting--they do--it's about what I feel and look good in. Such a change.
Karen

arlee bird said...

There are a lot of things that I'd kind of like to have, like blue-ray player, laptop, new van-- many things. But nothings is really vital. I think I'd be doing better to get rid some of the things I have now and simplify my life more.

Sharon Lippincott said...

I'm learning.

Cyndi said...

I pick and choose based on out budget. For the most part I do get the things I really want the most. I would like a new car, just because mine is o-l-d but it's not in the cards right now. I'm loving my new Blackberry though and am looking forward to a long weekend at the beach in May. Congrats on the fun (and environmentally friendly) new toy! :)

Elspeth Antonelli said...

I have unbelievably expensive taste - I always have. I also have two teenagers at home - and my youngest is about to turn 13. So - guess who wins? When I'm shopping, it's not for me.

Stephen Tremp said...

Likemost, I have to prioritize things I want then work from top down. Sometimes I'll buy an expensive item and that's all I can afford, or I'll buy 10 cheaper items. Just depends on the need at the time.

Stephen Tremp

L. Diane Wolfe said...

My husband likes the big items, I like small. But there's a lot of little luxury items we just get when we want. Sometimes we just get something big! When my husband was computer shopping last fall (he gets a new one every 3 years) we noticed they had laptops on sale and I prodded him to finally get one. I even paid for it, which was fun.
To balance this out, we are not clothes shoppers, so we don't splurge there!

Enid Wilson said...

I change mobile phone every two years. I just got a Blackberry and loving the full keyboard. Sometimes it's good to give yourself a treat.

Steamy Darcy

Patricia Stoltey said...

I'm getting worse and worse about wanting toys I don't need. I now have a keyboard, which I don't play very often. I want one of those little flip video cameras, and a Kindle or a nook, and a fancier digital camera with a bigger zoom, etc. Chances are, I'll talk myself out of most of them because I won't use them any oftener than I play my keyboard.