Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, March 19, 2010

Impatience

I think I must be the world's most impatient person. If not the most, than very close to it. I hate hate hate waiting. Long lines make me anxious--whether they're at a store, in the car at a traffic light, or in womens' rooms in public places.

I used to get irritable. Now, not so much. Unless I've gone too long without eating and my hypoglycemia kicks in. But truly, impatience is my worst character defect. I've tried everything I can think of to change this. I chant the Serenity Prayer: God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. I know the things I get most impatient about are things I cannot change.

Like our new car. It was due here in Albuquerque on 3/15. Today is the 19th and they can't tell me when it's going to get here. I am really trying to be patient. If the serenity prayer doesn't work, I ask if there's a lesson to be learned here. Maybe I need to dig deeper into my psyche to see what the impatience is all about. All I can figure so far is that it has something to do with being afraid I won't get what I need--whether it's food when I'm hungry, love when I'm hurting, or money to pay the bills. Hmm. These are core needs. Perhaps when next I find myself impatient, I can ask what core need isn't being met? I'll let y'all know how that works next time I'm in line.

Are you a patient person? Were you always that way? If not, what did you do to become more patient?

Till next time,
Karen

14 comments:

Cyndi said...

I'm not particularly patient, and I get especially perturbed over poor customer service. In your case, you are excited about the car, were promised it by a certain date and now you are left in limbo. It's 2010 and it's a motorized vehicle, why can't they tell you when it will be here?! Car dealerships are not fun to deal with plus once you have your heart set on getting your hands on the new car (there must be crack in that new car smell or something) you want it right away! I think it's the fact that you have no control over it that is the the most frustrating aspect of it.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

No, *I'm* the most impatient person in the world!

I see it as a genetic trait as well as just my regular makeup. I have to have a moment of self-awareness to stop myself. In general, I'm more patient with children and pets than I am with other adults.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Not usually! But it depends on the situation. I am most impatient when behind the wheel.

Sorry your car isn't there yet!

And if you are impatient, driving in ABQ must make you nuts! It can take an hour just to get from one side to the other!

Mason Canyon said...

I'm not a patience person either. If you find something that works, please - please share it. By now I'd probably be threatening to buy a car somewhere else. LOL.

Joanne said...

First, I agree with Cyndi - It's 2010 and with all the technology they can't tell you when the car will arrive? I think I'd be more angry than impatient, especially given the money I'd be spending! Now, on to patience ... I hold up pretty well waiting, usually. In a public place, it's a great way to people watch, idling in line, waiting your turn. Good luck with your car, and I hope it arrives TODAY!

Suzyhayze said...

How about this: It depends on the time of the month.
:)

Helen Ginger said...

I think I am a patient person, although I could not tell you why I am. I'd probably need analysis to figure it out.

I hope your car gets there soon. I have a feeling they know why it's not there. They're just not willing to admit why.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Elspeth Antonelli said...

I'm not a patient person. Never have been. I try everyday to remember Erma Bombeck's lesson to 'not sweat the small stuff', but it's tough. I hope today is your new car day!

Jody Hedlund said...

Oh, I love the Serentiy Prayer! That's a good one to chant! Usually I'm fairly patient, except when I'm over-tired. Then I find myself a bit more snappish! And I hate heading in that direction!

Patricia Stoltey said...

I'm patient most of the time. I don't have much trouble with grocery store lines or traffic lights. But when I read Galen Kindley's blog post about the airport/airline mess, I felt that sense of anger and agitation that would mark me as an uncooperative, impatient witch. I guess it depends on the situation.

Sharon Lippincott said...

Several years ago I realized that getting impatient didn't speed up a thing, and sent my blood pressure soaring. I decided to use things like three minute traffic lights or ten minute checkout lines as an opportunity to do deep breathing or some other stress reducing activity.

But contractors who are seven weeks behind schedule, cars that are unaccounted for ... sometimes assertiveness or even force is necessary. I don't see that as impatience, that's self-respect and required action to keep the system tuned!

Simona44 said...

I'm only impatient when I am stuck somewhere without a book to read. I have a Bible verse written on a paper in my wallet. If I am stuck whithout reading material, I work on memorizing this verse. If I'm stuck at a traffic light, I try to look at the faces of the people driving by in their cars. If my car hasn't come by the promised date, I make myself a squeaky wheel and call the dealer every day asking if they have any new information for me...Good luck, Karen.

Marvin D Wilson said...

Forget the serenity prayer. Doesn't work. Try this one instead ...

"God, please give me patience ... AND GIVE IT TO ME RIGHT NOW!!!"

(wink)

The Old Silly

Ann said...

I lose my patience with automated telephone operators. I just want to speak to a real person! I don't want to go to menu five and wait for the nine options then go to another menu and wait to hear the nine options there to get a simple answer to a question. Jeezz, give me a break!

Hope your car has arrived!