Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Telling the Truth Tuesday - Supporting our friends - Guest Blogger Coming

EVERYONE PLEASE STAND UP AND CHEER! THE NEW FORD FUSION HYBRID ARRIVED YESTERDAY  (2 WEEKS LATE). I'll post a photo as soon as I can, but I'm so jazzed. Now I won't get lost anymore. Anyway, here's my regular post:

Dear readers, you are in for a treat. L. Diane Wolfe, a dynamic author and public speaker, is stopping by during her blog tour to talk about self-esteem, and her new YA novel, Heather. She is known in bloggydom as Spunk on a Stick and you'll soon see why. Tune in tomorrow for Diane's guest blog and be sure to check out the links to her website and books.

As for Telling the Truth Tuesday, I thought it appropriate to talk a bit about supporting each other. This truly is a wonderfully supportive community, this bloggydom world. I feel as if I know the people behind the blogs I follow, even though we've never physically met. So how can we be of service to each other besides visiting blogs and leaving comments? We can buy each others' books. We can help promote each others' books, if we're comfortable with that, which is what the guest blogging is all about. It is an opportunity for readers of this blog to become acquainted with someone I respect and admire.This time it's Diane Wolfe.

The tricky part is, how do we handle it if someone whom we don't necessarily feel comfortable promoting on our blogs asks us to do so. Has that ever happened to you? How do you deal with it?

Blessings,
Karen

Blessings,
Karen

9 comments:

Marvin D Wilson said...

Hmm - never had to answer that question, never had the situation come up. Interesting, though, and I really don't know how I would deal with it. Sorry, The Old Silly's not much help today. (wink)

Ann said...

Glad the car has finally arrived. Don't you just love the new car smell.

Never had a guest blogger, so I haven't had to deal with that particular dilemma.

Joanne said...

First, congrats on the car arrival, very exciting!

And yes, blogs are a wonderful way to support each other in our endeavors. I host authors on their book tours sponsored by WOW Women On Writing. WOW's policy is that they let the participating blogs know which authors are available, along with background info and book info for each one so that we can see if they'd be a good fit for our respective blogs. It's up to each blogger whether or not to say yes to hosting, we're under no obligation, and then WOW coordinates the schedule. For the past couple years it's worked out really well for me. I've also hosted authors as part of my Coffee With Series, but in those cases, I approached the authors with the request, so it's different than a book tour. But in either case, it seems a good idea if either the book being promoted, or the author's message/post in some way is a fit with the content/essence of your blog. For me, that has been a deciding factor, and I have declined many that just didn't fit.

Looking forward to tomorrow's guest post!

Tamika: said...

This is a great question! I've wondered what the protocol is for having a guest blogger.

Do you ask them for the interview?
Do they ask you for the interview?

I'm lost on the process. There are so many bloggers in this community that I admire and fully intend to read their work.

Helen Ginger said...

Yay! Your car is here! Looking forward to the picture of it. And the one of your doing donuts in the drive.

I haven't turned anyone down, but I do specify the subject matter I'd like for them to address. For my blog, that means something to do with publishing or writing.

Helen
Straight From Hel

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Looking forward to visiting tomorrow and THAT IS SO AWESOME!! You'll have to tell us all about your wonderful new car.

Patricia Stoltey said...

I'm still up in the air about the guest blogger situation, but I'm thinking of asking some of my blogger friends to submit starting this summer. I think I have enough readers now to make it worth a guest's time, and it certainly would be a good way to give my own blog more variety in voice and topic. If I have a good reason to turn someone down, I'd just say so graciously and professionally.

Sharon Lippincott said...

Interesting question Karen. I too have been noodling the idea of pulling in guest bloggers. Your question reminds me that guidelines are a wonderful thing, and that reminded me of the posted guidelines for submissions to RedRavine one of the first blogs I ever linked to. I've been following them for years, but never submitted. Click over to their site. The link to guidelines is near the top of the sidebar.

I did receive an e-mail from Lazy Boy a couple of days ago letting me know they were "impressed by my blog" and had listed it on their massive blog site and hoped I'd reciprocate by posting a link back to them. NOT going to happen! I ignored it.

Ignoring requests is another way to deal with them. That could legitimately happen. If I don't reply to an e-mail right away, it's out of site up the list within hours.

Now, enjoy that new car! Seems like I smell its newness two thousand miles away in Pittsburgh and envy its pristine state of cleanliness and purring motor.

Mason Canyon said...

Congratulations on the arrival of the car. I hope you're doing the happy dance. Looking forward to tomorrow's post. Always enjoy reading Diane's writing. The blogging community is a wonder in itself.