Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Telling the truth Tuesday - Ups and Downs

Life really is a series of ups and downs. For so many years, as I soul-searched for happiness, I thought I'd eventually learn all I needed to learn and reach...what? Nirvana? Heaven? Ecstasy? What I know now is that there is no such destiny. Life is about moments. And there will be up moments and down moments. But even in the down moments, there is also up. Like the core inner strength I found while dealing with my MIL's death. Or the connections I made with my sisters-in-law. And the laughter that flowed midst the tears.

Monday was the beginning of a new time in my life. My time. There are no more parents to caretake. My son is a grown man, leading his own life. There are no grandchildren. I am in awe of what that means. Aside from daily chores and responsibilities, I get to choose how I use my time. I know I've written about this recently, but truly, it's a mind-boggling concept.

I lingered in bed after the alarm went off for hubby. Ah, there will be no guilt allowed that he still has to go to a job while I get to choose how to spend my time. And if you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you in Brookilyn. But I'll get over it.

What I want to do is write--but I want to do it in a way that is organic to me and my process. So I am just going to melt into this time of freedom that is a gift, a window of opportunity that I pray will be used wisely.

So how did my first day go? I stayed in my jammies till 9:30 am. While in my jammies, I ate breakfast, did my bloggydom responsibilities, and practiced singing. Got dressed and did my walk. So by 10:15 two of my three "commitments" were accomplished. Still had pretty much the whole day to "write." Phone rang. My sister of the heart -- we needed to catch up with one another. One hour later, it was lunch time. I had 4 hours left to "write." I think I'll keep you wondering whether I did it or not. (Shucks, I am trying to learn how to write fiction, after all).

Till tomorrow,
Blessings,
karen

12 comments:

5kidswdisabilities said...

I so envy you having some time to write. (And write well you do!!!!!) You deserve some "down time" to recharge the batteries. Then I am sure you will write like the Energizer Bunny!!!

Lindsey Petersen

Crystal Clear Proofing said...

Karen, as usual you seem to have everything in order and doing well. Enjoy taking life at your own pace and learning to write fiction. This is a new chapter and you've off to a great start!

Joanne said...

I have a sneaking suspicion you will write amazing fiction, if your insights here on your blog are any indication. Happy writing, and living, to you!

Tamika: said...

Cute Karen! What a way to hook the reader!

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Sounds like a pretty good first day. I have a feeling you made all your commitments, but I'll stay tuned to find out for sure.

Mason Canyon said...

Hey, it was your first day. You should take your time and find the speed you want to work. I'm guessing you probably did do some writing, even if it was just in your mind sorting out what you're going to put on paper. :)

Helen Ginger said...

Writing is more than putting fingers to keyboard. It is also plotting, thinking, pondering, note taking, dialogue in your head, letting your thoughts wander as you exercise, imagining as your drink coffee. Sometimes you do other things than type or write. Sometimes you have to breathe first.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Karen Walker said...

Dearest Helen,
Yes, yes yes, one of the first things I realized is I have to re-define what "writing" is. What I used to think of as wasting time maybe isn't.
Karen

L. Diane Wolfe said...

You'll get into a pattern soon!

Cyndi said...

Sounds like a perfect day to me! You need to time to decompress and rest. I'm jealous. :)

Rayna M. Iyer said...

That is a pretty good first day. It always takes a couple of days to settle into a new routine- you can't expect it to happen in a day.

Sharon Lippincott said...

No guilt about Hubby. He is doing what he is supposed to be doing, as are you. Cherish these days when you have wide open space. Even for the most devoted couples, life changes irreversibly when you are both retired and home together full-time. That will happen soon enough.