Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, March 15, 2010

Weekend-end update

Saturday was simply a great day. I have a very special friend--she's the daughter of very close friends--and I've known her since the moment she popped into this world. She slept over Friday night and we watched a double feature (17 Again, and Marley and Me). On Saturday morning, I dropped her off at a horse stable, where she is volunteering. The horses are used to work with disabled children, some with autism, some with Down's Syndrome, some with physical disabilities. S. will soon turn 13 and have a Bat Mizvah, a coming of age ritual. The community service work is part of her responsibilities in order to be Bat Mitzvahed.
After lunch, I took her to a community theater where she is in rehearsals for a play. A multi-talented young lady, S. does flamenco, sings and dances in musical theater, and is quite the dramatic actress as well.
The best part of the day was taking her clothes shopping for her Bat Mitzvah outfit. Three hours and lots of laughs later, she had a beautiful party dress.

My friendship with S. is fulfilling on so many levels. She is delightful and fun to be with. But also, the things I get to do with her are things I missed being able to do with my own child, so some very deep wounds are being healed through this relationship. And I am able to be an adult presence in her life in addition to her parents and grandparents--someone not blood-related--whom she knows loves her unconditionally.

Sunday, hubby and I hosted a gathering at our home for our friends who wanted to celebrate MIL's life. Since the funeral took place in Texas, our friends couldn't be there. Over ice cream and cookies, Mom's favorites, we shared Mom moments amidst laughter and tears.

I am moving through life differently these days, with my newfound core inner strength guiding me, and it feels like navigating quicksand. I'm managing not to sink, but to tread lightly. More to come...

Blessings,
Karen

10 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

Sounds like a good weekend. And you're on a good path. Managing not to sink is a big thing.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

It does sound like a happy weekend, Karen! I love that you had a special gathering to honor your mother in law. :)

Elizabeth

Ann said...

What a lovely way to spend your weekend. Celebrating the life of woman you so obviously loved and admired and spending time with a young lady who obviously loves and admires you.

The Old Silly said...

"we shared Mom moments amidst laughter and tears"

I love that, and can SO relate to it. Dad passed 10 years ago and our family still has laughter and tears when retelling Dad stories.

Marvin D Wilson

Jen Chandler said...

Karen,
sounds like a marvelous Saturday. It's so wonderful be close to a young person and be impactful in their life just by being a friend.

I'm very glad you were able to have a celebration party for your mother in law. I'm sure it was a wonderful time of memories, laughter and tears. It sounds like you guys are doing well. I'm so very glad.

All the best,
Jen

Elspeth Antonelli said...

That sounds as if it was a very fun Saturday. I'm so glad you had a good time with your young friend.

Helen Ginger said...

What a great weekend you had. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. It made me smile.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Stephen Tremp said...

I share as manym Mom and Pop moments as I can since we're separated by 2,000 miles. Thank God for the Internet. We're always sending stuff back and forth.

Stephen Tremp

Sharon Lippincott said...

Sounds like you are discovering the joys of aunthood. One does not have to be blood-related to be an Aunt.

Skimming the surface of quicksand -- this reminds me of Peter on the Sea of Galilee. Have faith!

Your new Pages are super. Nice work!

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend and S. sounds like a very special young lady.