Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Creating new brain cells

I love the new car. It handles beautifully, it's fun to drive, it's beautiful, and it's better for the environment. You can't really see the color in this photo, but it's ice blue - like a glacier lake.

But there are guidebooks for everything--the hybrid part, the navigation system, the satellite radio, travel link. Rather than get overwhelmed as I usually do when trying to learn new things, I am telling myself I am creating new brain cells. Experts say to stave off dementia, we need to keep learning. I do this with songs and dances. But when it comes to technology, it's much tougher.

What I know for sure is that I need to manage my expectations while learning something new. I can't expect myself to get things in an instant--like when I was teaching myself the guitar. I thought once I knew the chords, I'd just be able to play well. Uh uh. It takes practice, learning fingering techniques, making smooth transitions.

By the time we leave for our national park trip this summer, I'm pretty sure I will have mastered how to download cd's into the hard drive of the car; import playlists from my ipod into the car as well; plug in a destination in the GPS system; and use the voice activation for the bluetooth phone thingie. The first time I drove the car, the phone rang, I pushed the button on the steering wheel, and my friend's voice filled the car. It was discombobulating, but awesome. Much easier than trying to answer the cell phone (which is illegal in New Mexico).

This car will simplify my life, once I get the hang of it. And how can that be bad?

Blessings,
Karen

14 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Those are some incredible features!

And you used a lot of words I love, like 'thingy' and 'discombobulating.' Very high tech!

Mason Canyon said...

The car looks great and awesome features. Have fun learning how to use all the gadgets and enjoy the ride.

Joanne said...

Once you've mastered all the "thingies," you'll wonder how you ever got along without them! Enjoy :)

Cyndi said...

It's so cute and I LOVE the color! I so wish I had a car with all that fun stuff on it. Have fun! :)

Marvin D Wilson said...

Sweet! go on 'n get the hang, and then enjoy!

The Old Silly

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Even thinking about reading manuals makes my eyes roll back in my head. Fortunately, I’m married to someone who will tackle them. Then I have him show me what I need to know. I think I must be a show-me type learner. Hope you continue to enjoy your hybrid. I have a Toyota Prius and love it. I’d buy another in a minute, recalls and all.

Sharon Lippincott said...

It's beautiful. Wish I could go for a ride with you.

Ann said...

Wow! A phone in your steering wheel. The car sounds wonderful. As we say in Ireland..."Well Wear"

Helen Ginger said...

The car is beautimus. You have really gone high-tech. Downloading music to the car, talking on the steering wheel. It sounds great for a long road trip.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Karen Walker said...

Yup,it's kinda why we bought it now - we're going on a 3,000 mile trip this summer - Yellowstone, Grand Teton and Glacier national parks. Wish you could all come for a ride with me. And Jane, I'm with you - I hate reading manuals - I need to be shown as well. Hubby will help.
Karen

Shannon said...

Enjoy being green and thanks for sharing...I would love a car like this..but I have a family of 6 so it really would not work for us! God Bless! Following you now!

Elspeth Antonelli said...

It sounds amazing. Wow. Best of luck with both the learning curve and the curves on the road. I'm SOOO jealous!

Patricia Stoltey said...

I've grown to love thingies so much. I think it comes from being married to a guy who loves electronic toys, wires, and things that beep and whirr. Your new car looks wonderful, Karen. You should have a wonderful time learning all about the bells and whistles.

Anonymous said...

I love the description of the voice coming out of your steering wheel (at least that's how I imagined it) very evocative.

-Simona