Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, April 19, 2010

Monday Musings

My dear blogging buddy, Sharon Lippincott, will be here tomorrow talking about how writing memoir helped her grow as a person. Please stop by for this insightful look at memoir.

I've grown tired of weekend updates, so I'm changing Monday's blog posts to Monday Musings, which simply means I can ramble on about whatever strikes my fancy and hope that some of these thoughts will reach out and touch some of you.

This week I am the person to contact for my friend's elderly parent. I'd been somewhat depressed for a couple of days, then suddenly, this crisis happened and I was "needed." It made me realize that I only feel needed when there's a crisis and I can jump in and help. Hmm. Does this mean there is still a slight issue with low self-esteem lurking in my psyche? And why do I need to be needed in the first place? Don't I have value just because...? I'm not expecting answers to these questions, kind people, I'm just musing aloud. Does anyone relate?

Oh, and maybe I wasn't depressed at all. Maybe it was my intuition letting me know something was stirring. Something I need to pay attention to. I am on a spiritual journey, seeking ways to enhance my inner peace and grow, emotionally and spiritually, so literally everything that happens can offer insight and wisdom.

Like when I visited my elderly friend last week. I was talking about the two fiction pieces I am struggling with and realized that I have a deep-seated fear of entering into the head of an "evil" or "bad" character. That is a big part of my resistance. But in order to write fiction, one must enter into the character, yes?  Once the reason for resistance is identified, perhaps there will be ways to get comfortable with that process.

I guess that's enough for now. What have you been musing about lately?

Blessings,
Karen

21 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I like Monday Musings. :) Actually, I think I need to spend more time musing and less time reacting!

I don't get very far into the head of the antagonist, I'll admit. I don't write from their POV at all.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Sharon Lippincott said...

I like Monday Musings too, and what a juicy idea that depression may instead be a signal that you need to "tune in" and prepare for something new. Now that you mention it, I recall some similar thought recently, though not as well developed as yours. Hmmmm. Thanks for resurfacing that and making it visible.

Maribeth said...

Well, stir up my brain on a Monday morning why don't you?
I could get into this Monday Musing thing very quickly. Sometimes I'm slow to listen to the whispering voice and it has to scream until it's almost voiceless. Poor thing. Maybe these Mondays will rest it a little (kind of like giving it a bullhorn).
You've been a help. Not trying to make you feel needy just saying THANKS!
Maribeth
Giggles and Guns

Karen Walker said...

Elizabeth, yes, sounds like a good plan - musing instead of reacting, that is.

Sharon, you're welcome. I'd forgotten that depression sometimes is a signal for me as well. It was a good reminder.

Maribeth, I know what it's like to not listen to those whispers, so I try very hard to pay attention quickly. Glad I could help a little.
Karen

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

About feeling needed - I think you simply enjoy helping people and that’s nothing to feel bad about.

I like diving into the heads of the “bad guys” as well as characters with differing view points, but the scenes do take me longer to write.

T. Anne said...

My musings? Deep and spiritual lately. I'd like to think the Lord is listening and not tuning me out these days. ;)

Elspeth Antonelli said...

I think everyone has the urge to feel needed, but it's especially common in women. Maternal instinct. Get to know your characters before you see the world through their eyes - I write mini bios. It's like a formal introduction before you start dancing around the floor.

Helen Ginger said...

I love the idea of Monday Musings! Since my little sister visited this weekend, I've been musing about how much better we get along the older we get. I wish she lived closer, instead of at the opposite end of the U.S.

Helen
Straight From Hel

arlee bird said...

Anyone who's been looking at my blog lately can figure out what I've been musing about -- or is it obsessing? This A to Z Challenge has taken almost all of my thoughts during April. Hope after it's done I don't feel an emptiness of the event being over that brings me down somewhat. But I'll admit, I do need a little bit of a break.

Since you will be musing on Mondays I hope you might consider your musings about the A to Z Challenge when we do the May 3rd A to Z Challenge Reflections Mega Post. On that day, many (hopefully all) of the participants are going to be posting their thoughts about the experience they had with it, but I would especially like to get some of the opinions and observations from those who were checking in on participants and giving us words of encouragement. So if you will, please consider adding your voice and thoughts to our posts on May 3rd (it's a Monday!). Thanks
Lee
May 3rd A to Z Challenge Reflections Mega Post

Travis Erwin said...

As I am writing a memoir now myself I'll be sure and come back.

Janna Qualman said...

I do relate, though most times, because I'm the mom of two young ones, I get tired of being needed. Oh, I know that'll change, and someday I'll want to be needed again. Why is it so hard to just take stuff for what it is?

Thanks for visiting my blog earlier today! I appreciate the new connection. :)

And best with your new fiction project.

The Old Silly said...

Monday musings. I like the new format, and reading yours. My muse is, as you know, on fire right now with this new novel that's got me all fired up.

Ann said...

Yes this resonates with me. Only feeling needed when there is a crisis. So what to do about...I don't I don't know. Getting into the head of the "evil" or "bad" character is scary. Is it all that indoctrination of childhood? I don't know that either.

What I do know, is I hope you have a wonderful Monday!

Mason Canyon said...

Monday Musings has a nice ring to it. I think we all need to have a little time to muse.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

KarenG said...

I like Monday Musings! Maybe I'll start something like that. My name is Karen too, so it's okay if I copy, right?

Cyndi said...

I have a solution...I love entering the head of evil characters! LOVE it. This is most likely why I am pursuing my psychology degree at age 40. Just give me some info, I'll get into the evil-doer's head and write, you can make it sound much better and then put it in your book. Problem solved. :)

Jen said...

Mondays Musings is one of my favorites... I think I need to spend time with my muse :)

Travis Erwin said...

Karen I am in Amarillo. Plainview is an hour south of me.

Tabitha Bird said...

Hi Karen. I am so glad to be back and reading your words. Thanks for your comments on my blog. And yes, I relate to this post. I at my best in crisis and still want to be needed. I am not sure being needed in the problem with me, I think it might be just that I don't know how to be completely okay if I am not needed. And sometimes we aren't, for different reasons.

So yeah, I get it :)

Hugs to you.

Enid Wilson said...

I'm thinking about Helen's post: Conflict. I didn't think about it when I first started writing but now it's constantly on my mind. My latest story is about coping with the loss of a loved one who has gone missing.

Really Angelic

Patricia Stoltey said...

Hi Karen -- Sometimes I feel really tired or think I'm depressed when I really just need to sit down, relax, and let my mind wander to whatever ideas or desires are picking away at my subconscious mind. If I get too busy to listen, my body has a way of making me pay attention.