Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, April 26, 2010

Monday Musings

Thank you all so much for the wonderful birthday wishes. It was a wonderful birthday weekend. The best gift of all came Saturday morning while meditating and writing.

I'd been thinking about how I still look for approval from certain people in my life and it's the ones from whom I will never receive it. They just don't give it, for a variety of reasons. The message came loud and clear from deep inside me, STOP SEEKING APPROVAL FROM ANYONE ELSE. No one is going to come say, "Karen, you are a gifted: writer, singer, dancer." But know that YOU YOU YOU are a gift. Today, on your birthday, you are the gift. Some will accept you. Others won't. That doesn't change the gift itself. The gift is what it is--how it's received is not about the gift. It's about the receiver. Maybe the receiver likes blue and the gift is dressed in red. Maybe the receiver woke up on the wrong side of the bed that day. Let go of control. Of Everything. Your bodily functions, whether you exercise or not. You will now do what you need to do in each moment of each day. Trust it.

That's my Monday musing, folks. Each one of you is a gift. Treasure it. Nurture it. Love it. It is what it is.

Blessings,
Karen

17 comments:

Joanne said...

Beautiful thoughts here, Karen. We're all rich in our uniqueness, our traits and flaws and talents that make up all the essence of the gift. It makes life very interesting, don't you think?

Jody Hedlund said...

Happy late birthday, Karen! What a beautiful message today. I love it! I fall into the trap of seeking approval from everyone else. And I think that could turn into more of a problem down the road when my book is actually released. I'll look at the reviews and let it dictate my worth. But I want to remember that what other people say doesn't matter. So thank you!

arlee bird said...

Good insight there, Karen. We can take what people say and use what is useful and discard what is not, but in the end we are responsible for how we decide to feel. No one can make me feel any way, but I choose to feel what I feel.

Lee
A to Z Challenge Reflections Mega Post

L. Diane Wolfe said...

So true - we must first approve and love ourselves. If we rely on exterior motivation and confirmation, we'll only be disappointed.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Oh, you're so right. We all look for approval, don't we? And frequently it's a lost cause! We're just not going to get it from the places where we're looking. We have to find it from within!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Elspeth Antonelli said...

The only approval that gives anyone peace is self-approval. It's also the hardest one to get.

I'm so glad you had a lovely birthday, Karen. You deserve only the best.

Jen said...

I'm glad to hear that your birthday was wonderful!!! You are so sweet, I love the kind words and it just re-itterate's that fact to the world that you are a gem and a true gift to the world and to this blogging community!

We love having you around :)

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

You are so right – life is much easier when you quit searching for approval from others and accept it from yourself. It's good to be reminded of this fact.

Helen Ginger said...

Thank you Karen. It's your birthday and you're giving us the gift!

Helen
http://straightfromhel.blogspot.com/2010/04/establishing-mood.html

Marvin D Wilson said...

"Each one of you is a gift. Treasure it. Nurture it. Love it. It is what it is."

Beautiful.

The Old Silly

Ann said...

Happy belated Birthday Karen. I am so sorry I am late.

It is hard to let go of those feelings of wanting certain people to approve of us. That you are doing it is a marvelous achievement. Well done you! I am hoping some of accomplishment will rub off on me as I read your posts.

Have a wonderful Monday.

Tabitha Bird said...

I like the thought of being a gift. I will carry that with me today. Glad you had a good b'day :)

alexisgrant said...

Happy Bday Karen! And I LOVE indulgence days -- having time to curl up with a book or go for a walk or just sit and enjoy the quiet. Enjoy it!

Jemi Fraser said...

What an incredibly lovely thought! Definitely made my Monday a little brighter. Thanks for bringing me this gift, Karen! :)

N A Sharpe said...

What a wonderful sentiment - I totally agree, and you ARE a wonderful woman, Karen. Everyone has something very special to offer - thank you for the reminder of how special a gift that is. Hope your birthday was wonderful.

~Nancy

Glynis said...

That is a wonderful gift to receive on your birthday!

Be strong, be happy.

Patricia Stoltey said...

I gotta teach you how to look at people who withhold approval, put your hands on your hips, and say, "Whatever!" Sassy can feel very good, Karen.