Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, April 23, 2010

pre-birthday indulgence day

Today is my indulgence day. After singing rehearsal, I have no plans. Might take myself to the movies. Might curl up with a juicy novel. Might take a bubble bath. Might just sit and stare into space. The weekend will be busy with plans for the birthday celebration on Sunday. Thanks for all the birthday wishes. I will carry them with me on Saturday as I celebrate 61 years on this planet.

In the meantime, I want to share a piece of the vision statement I created for my fiction work. It came as a result of a meditation exercise from "Voice of the Muse," the book my writing coach, Mark David Gerson, wrote.

I am the drumbeat of your heart. Your heart beats a rhythm and you hear the song, dance to its beat, move with its lyrics. You sing the drumbeat, beat beat, thump thump. The sound of your heart shifts the energy of your soul as you put thoughts on paper. Hear your thoughts. Hear your words. Hear my whispers. I am calling you to me. I am your Siren Song. I am calling you to rise above your persona - the you you think you are. I am calling you to your wisdom. The lush, rich energy of all you have been, all you are and all you are meant to be. The drumbeat of your heart beats every second of every minute of every day, sending you the message you need to hear. Be still and listen. It will sing you your song, your story, your next step, your life.

What is your heart singing to you?
Blessings,
Karen

24 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

What a great message, Karen! And such an important reminder to spend some time listening to ourselves...and indulging ourselves every once in a while. Enjoy your birthday,too!!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Tabitha Bird said...

Oh what a beautiful quote. The drum beat of your heart- love it.
My heart beats with all my desires, all the things I still want to achieve. And it beats with thoughts of those I love.
Enjoy your day. Sounds fun :)

Mason Canyon said...

What a wonderful message. We all need to take time to indulge ourselves just a little at least. Hope you have a wonderful birthday. BTW, I have an award for you at my site. Have a great weekend.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Sharon Lippincott said...

KaTHUMP ... kaTHUMP ... kaTHUMP ... KaSWOOSH goes my blood. What stirring music! Stirring, steering, sweetly soothing. I never would have noticed this music without your sweet song.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Enjoy Indulgence Day. Thank you and Mark David for that concept. Since I celebrated, sans Indulgence Day last week, I'll have to wait another year, but today I shall order his book.

Joanne said...

My heart (and the warm temps) are singing that it is nearly time to get to the yard and plant this year's vegetable garden, hooray! Have a great birthday, Karen :)

Karen Walker said...

Elizabeth, I'd love to read on your blog one day that you spent some time indulging yourself.
Tabitha, the song your heart sings comes through loud and clear on your beautiful blog and in the words you've let me read.
Mason, I'll head over there right now. Thank you in advance.
Sharon, you're in for a treat with Mark David's book.
Joanne, enjoy your gardening. It's not a skill I have, but I so love home-grown veggies.
Karen

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That's beautiful!
Enjoy your indulgence day, Karen!

Jen said...

That is beautiful Karen! A great start to a birthday weekend! I love your indulge day! Everyone one of those things sounds fun... maybe you should do them all :)

Linda Austin said...

On one side of our family the women celebrate their birthday week - because we deserve it! We learned to take charge of our own celebration and not expect others to do it for us. Indulge whenever possible. Have a wonderful weekend...and remaining several days. Dance to your song.

Helen Ginger said...

Not only a great statement, but a wonderful inspiration to those of us reading it.

Helen
Straight From Hel

markdavid said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mark David Gerson said...

What an amazing and powerful vision statement. Let your heart sing that story to you! I'm so excited to hear what's next, Karen.

Jemi Fraser said...

Lovely! Really lovely :)

WELCOME TO MY WORLD OF POETRY: said...

Happy Bithday got the information from Arlee Bird at Tossing it About.
Have a lovely day.

Yvonne.

Jen Chandler said...

Happy Birthday Karen!

It was so good to see your comment the other day! The writing went and I'm convinced I am NOT a script writer! But at least I got the story out :) I hope all is well.

Have a wonderful birthday! I should be back in blogland on a regular basis in about a week.
Jen

Not enough hours! said...

Happy Birthday, Karen.

Hope you had a great day, and that you have an even greater year.

~ Rayna

Grammy said...

Hi, Karen,
Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Birthday, God Bless You!
Happy Birthday to you!

That is my voice singing to your heart - I read about your birthday on Arlee Bird's posting today. This is my first time to visit you, but I will be back. I enjoyed and was inspired by your posting today. Many happy returns of the day to you.
Ruby

Karen Walker said...

Wow, thanks everyone for the special birthday wishes.
Diane, my indulgence day was fab.
Jen, I did them all except the bubble bath.
Linda, what a lovely family tradition.
Helen, coming from you, that means a lot. Thanks.
Mark David, thanks for the inspiration.

Jemi, Yvonne, Jen, thanks so muchfor the kind words.
Rayna, nice to see you- thanks so much.
Grammy Ruby, thanks for the lovely birthday song.
Karen

Marvin D Wilson said...

Karen I always like your posts, but this one really "sang" to me. Excellent. And go on and indulge yourself, too ... good for the soul once in a while, hmm?

DJ GlenMC said...

Birthday wishes to you. May it be blessed and refreshing.

Be blessed. Be a blessing.
DJ GlenMC

Ellie said...

Great post; Happy Birthday to YOU! I hope you get to do something special~

Patricia Stoltey said...

A very Happy Birthday to you, Karen. I hope you had cake!

Wanda said...

Hope you enjoyed a Happy, Happy Birthday. BTW Arlee sent me :)

Glynis said...

Happy Birthday,Khronia Polla from Cyprus. Enjoy your weekend,Karen.