Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, April 16, 2010

Slogging Through the Day

I'm writing this Thursday morning for a Friday morning posting. I was up half the night last nite. Just one of those times when my head hits the pillow and all the thoughts and feelings swirling in my brain get caught in an endless loop like a movie projector run amok.

Why does this happen? Usually there is nothing you can do at 2 am to resolve any of the things you are obsessing about. Like how am I going to fit 30+ people in my living room and still have space enough for the five singers in Sugartime to perform. And how are we going to resolve the issue of gig dates and having to make changes when one of us has to travel or has a family obligation. And where should hubby and I live when he retires? And why oh why are no words coming out of me and onto the page in any of my works in progress. And why did Buddy (our dog) get diabetes and is he going to be okay?

I think you get the idea. So I am slogging through Thursday, working on letting go of my attachment to the outcome of any of these dilemmas (see yesterday's post on Taking the Action and Letting Go of the Result).
Being tired does not lend itself to creativity. Or exercising. Or much else. So I'm taking myself to visit a sick friend. She's in her 80s and has a clot in her leg which they are trying to dissolve. And severe edema, so she can't walk. I'm supposed to cheer her up. I know I'll be able to summon the energy for that at least.

Have a great weekend, everyone.

Blessings,
Karen

11 comments:

Sharon Lippincott said...

At times like that, don't you just wish Mommy were around to rock you back to sleep against her shoulder?

The other night I recognized this state as Monkey Mind and had the wild idea of "taming the monkey." I visualized the monkey, hopping all around in trees. I offered it a banana (not sure if it was he or she). It came over, took the banana, and let me pick it up. It was all stiff and rigid and boney. As I stroked it gently, it relaxed into my lap, leaned against me, and ... I was in dreamland.

Cyndi said...

I too suffer from Monkey Mind! :)

All you can do is try to talk yourself down as you are already doing. This too shall pass.

Have a nice relaxing weekend!

Mason Canyon said...

I know what you mean about everything running through your mind. I do that sometimes. Hope you have a great weekend.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

carolynyalin said...

I'm often tossing and turning at night when I'm trying to sort things out. I keep a notebook by the bed and right down the problem and promise myself to tackle it during daylight - this generally helps me.

Elspeth Antonelli said...

Why is it that our brains take the motion of our heads hitting the pillow as the cue for non-stop thinking at lightspeed? It's most annoying. I have noticed over the years that this seems to be a women's issue. Men seem to be gifted with the ability to be asleep within minutes. Their brains seem to just click off. Women's don't.

Jemi Fraser said...

I'm always tired - worries attack me during the night too. I don't remember the last time I had a great sleep. One of these days... :)

Patricia Stoltey said...

After all these years, I'm finally learning how to "turn it off" if I wake in the middle of the night and start thinking. I repeat, "Stop it. Relax Go back to sleep," until I stop it, relax, and go back to sleep. :)

Anonymous said...

Ahahaha. Monkey Mind. I love it. Karen, when you suffer from Monkey Mind, how about sitting up in bed and writing about it?
-Simona

Helen Ginger said...

It sounds as if you're a bit stressed. As it is now Sunday, I hope you're relaxing, smiling, and ready for a new week.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Roland D. Yeomans said...

At times when I lay awake late in the evening, I make a list of all the times The Father has seen me through times so dark that I couldn't see where to place the next step, much less what it should be. Being deserted on a mean street in Detroit at the age of 6 by my father, living with a step-father who twice tried to kill me, to surviving my home burning around me as I awakened to the scratch of my cat, saving my life but not hers.

I am not singing the blues. You haven't lived your life without being assaulted by situations that stabbed to the quick. And here you are : a loving husband, a loving dog, ailing but with means to keep on with a happy life, and fruitful pursuits and good friends. You have surmounted all the trials in your past life. You will deal with them in the future. Not perfectly, but that is how you learn.

Ever learn how to ride a bike? How many tumbles did it take for you to finally get your balance? You will find your balance now. Your past says you are a survivor.

Have a healing weekend. Come visit my blog, WRITING IN THE CROSSHAIRS, pull up a cyber-chair, and let's chat awhile. I look forward to your visit. Your cyber-friend, Roland

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Worrying only steals precious time, Karen!