Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Take the Action and Let Go of the Results

I've had an ongoing issue with Toshiba Tech support. It started when the software which came with the computer froze in the midst of making a DVD. I have spoken to no less than six tech support folks and the issue still wasn't resolved - until today - 4 weeks after the initial problem began.

Incredibly frustrated, angry and feeling quite helpless, I finally let go of the results. It's not the only thing that's been frustrtating me. We have an ongoing discussion going on about whether to stay in our current house or try to find a different one that better suits our needs. It's complicated and involves when hubby retires and whether to incur additional mortgage expenses at this point in our lives. And my writing has just not been happening, although I do think I'm moving along in the process.

No sooner did I let go and felt that deep inner sigh that comes when you do that, then what the technician was doing began to work. Three hours later, the software was re-installed and working. Yahoo!!!!
My very valuable lesson, with this and everything else in my life, is to continue to strive to detach from the outcome of whatever it is I'm dealing with. Easier said than done, I admit. But oh, the inner peace that comes as a result.

What are you holding onto?

Blessings,
Karen

13 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

Sounds like something I need to do. I have a HP and have been trying to make a DVD of some photos. It's not working no matter what program I use and I've made one before. I don't even want to think about calling the HP techs and going around and around with them. Maybe I'll give it a couple of days and try again. Glad you got your tech problem repaired.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Sharon Lippincott said...

What AM I holding onto? What a juicy question! I shall chew on it.

In the tech line, I'm still working around my non-functioning CD/DVD drive. Long story. And I am working around it.

Helen Ginger said...

I so identify with you, Karen. Letting go and distancing yourself is very hard to do, but when you do, it's can bring peace into your life. The problem is I often have to re-teach myself that lesson.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Cyndi said...

Great news about your computer! I'm still traumatized from the weeks I had to go without one and my unsatisfactory dealings with Best Buy. :)

The same thing happened to me. As soon as I gave up on fighting it and stressing about it, my computer was returned all fixed. :)

Ann said...

Glad your computer woes are solved.

Letting go...hmm will have to ponder on that one.

Elspeth Antonelli said...

Letting go of the results? This is something I'm no where near able to do. If I do something, I want a result - and it better be the result I'm wanting.

Stephen Tremp said...

I don't hold onto too many things. I guess I;ve been blessed with the gift og looking and moving forward and not dwelling on the past.

Stephen Tremp

Debra L. Schubert said...

Letting go - the ultimate lesson in life. Thanks for the reminder. ;-)

carolynyalin said...

I agree with Debra, a good reminder - thanks.

arlee bird said...

I kind of like Stephen. I don't hold on to too much other than my wife, family relationships, and friendships. As far as computer problems, I've never dealt with tech support more than 2 hours on the phone, and rarely. Maybe it's because I don't try to do much on the computer and don't know what I'm doing anyway and haven't run into the major tech problems yet.
Lee
Blogging From A to Z April Challenge

arlee bird said...

I have a lot of problems with contractions when I'm typing. Above I meant to say "I'm kind of like Stephen." Although Stephen seems like a pretty nice guy and I do like him as well.
Lee

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Wow - I needed that today, Karen!

Maribeth said...

I finally remembered to let go of some things this week and I can physically feel the difference!
Glad your tech problems are solved.

Maribeth
Giggles and Guns