Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Trip Planning

Trip planning is so much fun with all the possibilities to choose from, honing in on the most desired, fitting all the stops into an allotted time period. For the last few years we've done big trips out of the country. This year, we're going to see several national parks I've never been to--Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and Glacier. Hubby's been to all of them. When he was in his thirties, he bought a small motor home and traveled the country for 1 1/2 years. Some day I hope we get to do that together.

We just completed all the arrangements. Now we wait with eager anticipation for Memorial Day weekend, when we depart. The excitement prior to a trip is almost as good as actually getting there.

What are some of your favorite vacations? Mine is still the time we went to Europe for six weeks after I graduated from college (at 56 years old). Despite recovering from a fractured ankle, we went to 11 countries.

Blessings,
Karen

10 comments:

Cyndi said...

Sounds like a great trip, although the 6 weeks in Europe would probably top my list too.

My favorite trip? My first trip alone, ever, to a beach in NC for mother's day weekend 2 years ago. I wanted to make it an annual tradition but didn't get to go last year. I am going this year and can't wait!

Joanne said...

There's a little beach cottage we spend time at each summer, a small place on Long Island Sound. It is perfection year after year, a place of peace and the sea and comfort. Of a boardwalk and lagoon and swans and a sandy beach. Really, it's a dream come true.

Sharon Lippincott said...

I've been to those parks, but when we went, we had three lively children and were tent camping and putting lots of miles on the car. I'd love to go back now and enjoy the serenity of the views up the trail where few ever go.

I wish you many "traveling mercies" and blessings

Karen Walker said...

Ooh, Cyndi, what a delicious idea - a Mother's Day retreat away from family. How lovely. Glad you are doing that for yourself.

Joanne, that does sound like perfection indeed.

Sharon, why don't you meet us there? No really, you should go if you want. If not now, when?

Karen

Mason Canyon said...

Sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned. Those would be some of my favorite places to visit too. Be sure to take lots of photos to share. :)

Ann said...

Planning a trip is so much fun. It is the anticipation of all the wonders you expect to see and experience. Enjoy the planning. Of course my favorite trip was the trip to Florence. But I also enjoyed my trips to Rome and Greece.

Tamika: said...

Sounds like you've had some amazing travels! I hope to do more traveling once my children are older.

Italy would be my dream!

Karen Walker said...

Mason, I sure will take photos, as will hubby.
Ann, Florence is one of my tops as well. Still haven't been to Greece and it's high on the priority list.
Tamika, I was 50 before I left the country, so be patient. You'll get there. Italy is one of my favorite places on the planet.
Karen

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Take lots of pictures!!! Wow, it's been years since I visited Yellowstone.
My favorite will always be our trip to England and Scotland. And our cruise a couple years ago - I had a blast!

Patricia Stoltey said...

If you'll be driving north on I-25, you'll be within shouting distance when you pass through Northern Colorado. Be sure and yell "Hey."