Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, April 12, 2010

Weekend Update - Fun! Fun! Fun!

When was the last time you spent all or part of the weekend just having fun? If you're like me, you probably can't remember.

I had a blast this weekend, doin' what I love. Friday night we had delicious Indian food with two dear friends, then went to see my young friend, S. in a production of Rudolfo Anaya's "Bless Me Ultima."
Saturday morning, I sat, curled up on my coach, drinking tea and watching old movies. I had a gig that afternoon and tend not to do too much prior so I can conserve energy.

The audience adored us, clamoring for us to come back and sing for them again. There is no higher high. The other good news is that I have learned not to allow stress and anxiety to affect my singing. We were supposed to sing at 3 pm. The residents were still playing Bingo at 3pm, so we couldn't sound check our equipment. As soon as they were done, they were given wine for happy hour and sat, expecting us to sing. Immediately. We did. One mike was way louder than the others, but otherwise, everything went smoothly. We realized if we allow that kind of thing to make us upset, the fun goes out of the experience and than why bother?

Which is my point for this blog post. If we're not having fun, what's the point? So, are you having enough fun in your life? If so, please share how. If not, talk about what you might do to add a little, here and there. Just a tad...it will make such a difference. I promise.

Blessings,
Karen

P.S.
For those of you interested in what it's like working with a writing coach, I have a guest post over at Sharon Lippincott's blog, http://heartandcraft.blogspot.com/.

13 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend! No, I haven't planned something strictly fun for a long time...thanks for reminding me to do so!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Mason Canyon said...

Glad you had an enjoyable weekend. That's something we all need to do from time to time. And you're right, I can't remember the last time I had just fun on a weekend. I've got to do better.

Sharon Lippincott said...

Karen, I love your observation -- "If we aren't having fun, what's the point?" Amen!

Jody Hedlund said...

Love that attitude, Karen! If we're not having fun or finding the joy, the really we're missing out on so much! Thank you for the reminder today!

Helen Ginger said...

Love that you had such a fabulous weekend. I'll zip over to your post - after I get back from doing something fun today. I'm heading off to another town about an hour away to have lunch with a writer friend. And I'm blocking from my mind all the work I'm leaving on my desk. Yay!

Helen
Straight From Hel

Tamika: said...

My weekend was pretty enjoyable, we attended a few birthday parties and ate our fill.

I'm glad your weekend shined!

Ann said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend. I had a lovely weekend too. Took to the local bike trails on a sunny Sunday. Pure bliss.

Elspeth Antonelli said...

Doing something just for fun? I don't remember the last time...This can't be good. I'm glad you had such a marvelous time, Karen. Performing can be a wonderful experience - it's like smiling with your entire body.

T. Anne said...

Sounds like a great weekend! I'm going over to check out the link.

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Since my health scare, I have been really good at fitting fun into my life. This weekend it was traveling for several hours with my grandson and his family in order to take a ride on the ‘real’ Thomas the Tank Engine train.

Patricia Stoltey said...

I am definitely having fun in my life. Part of the secret is to avoid dwelling on the bad stuff. Jane has the right idea -- no matter what life throws at us, we need to find something to enjoy, laugh about, and remember with pleasure.

The Old Silly said...

I envy you having a writing coach. Okay, I'll check it out.

Cyndi said...

Sounds like a great time, glad you had fun!