Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Being Rather Than Doing

In order for me to do the work for this next book, I need to learn to just "be." You have no idea how hard it is for someone who loves lists. I am not a procrastinator. The mail comes in the door, I pay the bill immediately. The laundry gets done once a week. I keep extras of everything from toilet paper to ketchup, so I don't have to run to the store, except for fresh fruit and veggies and coffee mate (I can't do dairy).

Being means not doing anything. It is shutting down all the external noise, getting quiet within, and listening. When I manage to do this, the results have been extraordinary. The whisper in Ireland, "Tell my story," now has a voice and she is coming to me more and more frequently. But only when I stop "doing."

This doesn't feel like my definition of writing, so I'm having to shift that particular paradigm. This book is emerging from places I didn't know existed, unlike my memoir, which emerged from my life and from the journals I'd kept to record that life. Still, after several years working on the memoir, the story I thought I wanted to tell shifted to something else entirely. It went from being a story about losing custody to a story about learning to listen to the whispers of intuition.

Some days I cannot quiet my mind enough to just "be." Other days I'm too tired. But when the stars align in just the right way and I enter that zone, magic happens.

Enter my world of "being" for just a moment today and allow the magic.

Blessings,
Karen

12 comments:

Tabitha Bird said...

Oh I so understand this. it is interesting but my memoir did come from this place of being. It had to. I had to just let it flow. I know so many people are fans of plotting books, but this post sums ups exactly why I cannot. I have to listen and flow and let the words come as they will. I plan the book when I edit. The first draft for me is always about 'being'. Good for you Karen. Go girl! :)

Clarissa Draper said...

That's one of the reasons I get so irritated with noise and distractions. I don't have the space to listen to the voices and after a while, the voices get angry and stop talking to me. I now take time out, from home life, from friends and just be. You're right, it's much better.

CD

Maribeth said...

For me it's not about outside noises. I live on a street with wild traffic that I don't hear. My noise is internal and yours sounds (no pun here) much the same. It's very hard to let 'someone' in your mind.
Pretty sure there are times your 'Whisper' is hoarse from shouting at you. Am I right? ;0
Maribeth
Giggles and Guns

Mason Canyon said...

I love those days when the stars align and all things seem to fit in place. Those seems to come few and far between, but you gotta enjoy them when you can. Continued success with your writing.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Joanne said...

It's a very privileged place to be, a place where time stops and travel begins. Enjoy!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Hey, if I can do it, you can do it! I'm constantly doing something, uber organized, a multi-tasker, and easily distracted. If I can write several fiction novels, I know you can, Karen.

Elspeth Antonelli said...

It certainly sounds as if you've found the beginning of the pathway, Karen. Enjoy. Relax. It'll take the time it takes.

The Old Silly said...

Good distinction to be aware of and practice, Karen.

KarenG said...

I totally get this. Sometimes we feel guilty about just being because we have to be conatantly doing! And creativity just doesn't work like that!

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

That's a wonderful place to be, Karen!

I need to be "being" not "doing" a whole lot more than I am.

Helen Ginger said...

I definitely need to get in that zone. I've been totally out of it the past few days while we were in San Antonio. The only voices I heard in my head were my own, screaming about the lack of Internet. Tomorrow, I hope to get back to the peace, quiet and rhythm.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Jemi Fraser said...

Lovely. My life is crazy busy, and I don't find enough of those "just being" moments. I have to work on that.