Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, May 24, 2010

Monday Musings - Breaking Hearts

We got very sad news Friday. Buddy is insulin resistant. His blood sugar levels are extremely high and he is losing weight. But his spirits are wonderful. We are going to be giving him palliative care, which means higher dose of insulin to try to keep him from losing much more weight, and to keep him feeling as close to normal as possible. There are options to find out why he's insulin resistant, but it's most likely cancer and we wouldn't subject him to either chemotherapy, radiation, or surgery. So we will keep him comfortable as long as we can.


Thank you all for your love and support. We are broken hearted. As of right now, we are still planning on taking our trip for 8 days, rather than 16. We can always come home if he really starts to deteriorate. Our housesitter adores Buddy and he just loves her, so it should be okay.

In the meantime, I can't look at him without my heart aching and the tears flowing. I am going to try to enjoy every moment we have with him, one day at a time. That's all any of us can do anyway. This really hammers home that message. Love love love the ones we're with.

Blessings,
Karen

14 comments:

Janet Johnson said...

Sorry to hear your news! My deepest sympathies. :(

And very true. You never know when the journey ends for anyone. Enjoy every second. Best wishes.

Cyndi said...

I'm sorry about Buddy. :(

Glynis said...

I hope he settles to sleep pain free. Thinking of you.

Vicki Rocho said...

So sorry to hear about Buddy. I think you've made the best decision for him.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'm so sorry, Karen! We had to watch our cat Hobbes go in a similar fashion - she had cancer and lost weight. When she was no longer eating (Hobbes was a fat cat as eating was her one joy in life) we made the decision not to prolong her life any further. It was tough, because she was very much alert still.

Mason Canyon said...

So sorry to hear this about Buddy. Enjoy each moment you can. Keeping you and Buddy in my thoughts and prayers.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Joanne said...

I'm really sorry to read this, pets hold such a very special place in our hearts. Buddy is in the best hands with you. Give him a special hug from your blog buddies, too.

Jemi Fraser said...

So sad. Enjoy the moments you have left with Buddy. I'm glad he's got you and others he loves in his life.

Jen Chandler said...

Karen, I am so sorry. Pets are so special. I'm praying for you and for Buddy. One of the most amazing things about animals is that they may be feeling pain, but they still reach out to us, to comfort us. Talk about love.

Hugs,
Jen

Helen Ginger said...

Having lost my dog recently, I totally feel your pain. You're doing your best for Buddy and loving him.

Helen
Straight From Hel

KarenG said...

Oh so sorry, Karen. It's so hard to see our pets suffer and then when the end comes, it's truly sad to lose them.

The Old Silly said...

Wow, that's sad. Feelin' for ya, Karen...

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I'm so sorry, Karen. I know this has to be a really tough time for you - you and Buddy will be in my thoughts.

Karen Walker said...

Thank you all so much for your loving thoughts and prayers.
Karen