Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, May 7, 2010

Random Thought - Friday2

Yesterday, in the midst of taking vacation moments, my internet access disappeared. So sorry I couldn't visit your blogs or comment on mine. Talk about serendipity. So I took myself shopping for new clothes, something I used to hate when I was very heavy. Now it's so much fun. I was a whole size smaller than I thought I was. Yippee!!

Today's random thought: Making Magic. What happens if I make magic in my everyday life. What happens if I turn my life into one gigantic ceremony. When I do ceremonies, I am creating sacred space. Sometimes it is to ask for healing. Sometimes it is to honor a particular day or time of the year. Sometimes it is to ask for help. What if I approach everything in my daily life as a ceremony. What would it look like? What would yours look like?

Blessings,
Karen

12 comments:

Tabitha Bird said...

Oooh! Great questions! Hmmm.... creating ceremony out of the everyday? I think my life would look a lot slower and I think I would take better notice of the everydayness of it and give myself more to enjoying whatever I was doing instead of rushing to the next thing... maybe I'll try that :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Treat every day like Christmas and it is magic!

Sharon said...

What a fascinating question. I have to stop and think what ceremony means to me. I'm a bumble bee, flitting from blossom to blossom, cross-pollinating flowers of thought in myself and others to produce seeds of growth and (wisdom?).

Do bumble bees do ceremony? How would that work? I like the idea. Karen, you are a bumble bee too with your enticing observations and insightful challenges!

Maribeth said...

I thought about this a moment and realize my life would be more peaceful.
Maribeth
Giggles and Guns

The Old Silly said...

"What if I approach everything in my daily life as a ceremony."

Who knows what kind of serendipity would occure - but what a great way to find out, hmm?

Ann said...

Ceremony? I am taking that to mean special, like Christmas. It would mean a feeling of well being and happiness surrounded by family.

Oh and lovely clothes, hair perfectly groomed and of course beautiful shoes!

Connie Arnold said...

Each day does have a bit of magic in it if we look, and the ceremony could be in finding and celebrating that magic. For me it could be soaking in the beauty of nature or sharing time with a loved one. Thanks for sharing the random thoughts, Karen!

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I think of ceremonies as something formal so I’d probably avoid them and look for magic elsewhere:)

Jemi Fraser said...

I'm more like Jane - I avoid the formal. It's all about the casual and the everyday :)

Stephen Tremp said...

I like to live every day on the casual side myself. Ceremonies are a lot of work. Once I'm finished preparing everything I'm ready for a nap and am not able to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

Stephen Tremp

Alexis Grant said...

A whole size smaller? That's awesome! You should feel proud of yourself for that.

Enid Wilson said...

Have a magic moment every day? That's an excellent goal to have. Today for me was completing 15 minutes of exercise.

Steamy Darcy