Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Telling the Truth Tuesday - The Wizard of Oz

Went to see the Broadway touring company performance of "The Wizard of Oz" last night at UNM's Popejoy Hall. I've seen the movie countless times since I was a child, but I've never seen a live production. It was mesmerizing. The theater was filled with children, from infants to teens, and my first thought was, oh no, this is going to be a very unpleasant theater experience.

Not. The audience was very well behaved. I think everyone was as mesmerized as I was. From the elaborate, colorful costumes to the songs we all know and love, I was caught up in Dorothy's quest to find the Wizard and get home.

The story is timeless. It's universal themes still reach us with important lessons:
  • Take cover when a tornado is coming
  • Listen to your elders
  • Over the Rainbow may not be what it's cracked up to be
  • There's no place like home
  • You've always had the power within you
That last one is something I am just beginning to understand. I've always given my power away to others. I do it by asking for opinions, agreeing with things I'm not sure I agree with, keeping quiet when I really ought to speak up, being afraid of what others will think of me, wanting desperately to be liked/loved. Owning who I am, flaws and all, is challenging, but rewarding. And home doesn't just mean the place we live. For me, it also means inside my own skin. The degree of comfort I now feel inside my own skin helps me know I am on the right track. How about you?

Blessings,
Karen

12 comments:

Maribeth said...

I have come to realize that I'm a pretty good person--inside and out. I'm not going to be perfect and I no longer try. My life is more peaceful now that I can live with the fact I am human.
I'll "Be the best that I can be." (But I'm way too old for Army! LOL)
Maribeth
Giggles and Guns

Vicki Rocho said...

Good reminder...I gotta quit doing that nonsense. I'm getting better, but still a lot of room for improvement.

Jody Hedlund said...

Hi Karen,

What great lessons you picked from the production. I think that I would struggle the most with Over the Rainbow isn't always what it's cracked up to be. I'm learning that nothing is ever easy, and that I can't always be looking ahead for satisfaction. But to remember to live in the moment and enjoy the now.

Mason Canyon said...

I think it's hard for us to remember that we do have the power within us. We just have to use it more.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Joanne said...

Love your thought that home is also within your own skin. If we're not comfortable there, it doesn't matter how comfortable our house is.

Janet Johnson said...

Great post! I love that. We do have the power within us! And I need to remember about home. Home is so much more than a place to live. :)

Elspeth Antonelli said...

Biggest lesson? A good pair of shoes will make all your dreams come true! (just kidding). I'm glad you enjoyed the show - there's nothing like live theatre.

Helen Ginger said...

I'm a bit like you, I think. I'm horrible at debating or arguing, so I avoid it.

Funny that you posted about the traveling show of Wizard of Oz. I saw an ad for it this morning and wondered if it would be any good.

Helen
Straight From Hel

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I occasionally forget, but I try to keep that last one in the forefront whenever possible.

Jemi Fraser said...

The Wiz is probably my fave all-time movie. I've just recently seen a live version as well. Loved it. I totally agree with you - there's so much to learn from the story :)

N A Sharpe said...

I love the Wizard of Oz. There are so many lessons to be learned from this classic tale as you have shown us. I think we can also add that life's journey is so much more pleasant with the blessing of good friends; and of course, the power to find our heart's desire lies within ourselves. Excellent post.

Nancy, from Realms of Thought…

Glynis said...

Great post. So glad you enjoyed the theatre. What a great story to learn from.