Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, June 7, 2010

Monday Musings - Salt Lake City and Grand Tetons

It took us 12 hours to drive to Salt Lake City. By the time we checked in and had dinner, it was 8 pm. That is way too much time in a car, even a wonderful car like our new Hybrid. The music kept me entertained for about 7 hours, then I was bored and sore.

The next morning we went to see the Great Salt Lake, Then, while driving up a hill in the city itself, a warning came on the dashboard that said we must get to a dealer immediately. For about 1 hour, I had my first mini-breakdown as we realized it was Memorial day Weekend in Salt Lake City. Nothing would be open on Sunday. Probably nothing would be open till Tuesday. But then the warning disappeared, so we decided to continue with our trip.


Then the phone wouldn't sync with the bluetooth device. Poor hubby. I am really very high maintenance when things don't go well and I'm weaning off estrogen. I fretted over that most of the day. I hit my bottom when we ran into road construction and had to drive on a gravel road for several miles. Convinced "millie" would get dinged all over, I cried the whole way. Needless to say, no dings. My psyche, however, was quite dinged. Hubby, thank God, was unfazed - just worried about me. In fairnesss, I'd only gotten about 4.5 hours sleep. I knew  a good night's sleep would do wonders, and it did.


Woke up early Memorial Day and took off to spend the day in Grand Teton National Park. At our first stop two moose wondered about the parking lot, moseying up to folks. Not long after that, we spotted a coyote hunting for prey. Here's a photo of it catching the unfortunate critter.

Next we saw a yellow-bellied Marmot hanging on a pole. We hiked in Cascade Canyon and saw Hidden Falls. After a lovely picnic lunch by String Lake, we spotted pronged horned antelope, a herd of elk, and a mama bear and her two cubs. The lineup of people with cameras watching the bears was almost funnier than the bears themselves.
The adventure continues tomorrow...tune in.

P.S. I apologize for the poor layout of this blog post, but really struggled with it after driving 8 hours home. This was the best I could do.

Blessings,
Karen

10 comments:

Karen Gowen said...

There you are in my neck of the woods! That all looks very familiar. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I don't do well on trips over eight hours anymore. Four hours is all I can handle alone, too.

Love the photos - post more!!!

Joanne said...

How beautiful to be so immersed in the natural life around you! You're all the richer for it, thanks for sharing.

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

Even with your car problems it seems like you had a marvelous trip. Enjoyed the pics and travelogue.

Mason Canyon said...

Great photos. I can see how it could be so relaxing.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

That’s a beautiful part of the country. I hope the spectacular scenery and animal sightings more than made up for your traumatic day on the road.

Jemi Fraser said...

Beautiful photos - too bad the drive wasn't easier. Hopefully it gets better!

Vicki Rocho said...

Welcome back! Glad you had a chance to relax!

Clarissa Draper said...

Really, really cool pictures.

I've left you an award on my blog.

http://clarissadraper.blogspot.com/

CD

Jen Chandler said...

Beautiful pictures! Sorry you had a rough drive but I'm glad some rest helped :) I'm looking forward to the next installment.

Jen