Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, June 14, 2010

Monday Musings - To blog or not to blog

While on vacation I began questioning whether to continue blogging or not. When I began this blog, it was with the intention of marketing my memoir, "Following the Whispers." I took a blog book tour class with Dani Greer, which helped me tremendously. But I never did a book blog tour and it's been a little over a year since my book came out. I had to ask myself why, which also led to asking myself whether continuing to blog is something beneficial, both to me and hopefully to others.

That led to the realization that blogging with the intent of marketing cannot be my goal. Marketing can be a side benefit, but for it to fulfill my soul requirements, the intent of blogging would have to be to help others. Most of the blogs I follow and have found in bloggydom, are written by writers who write about writing. I love those blogs and learn a great deal from them. I don't thing bloggydom needs another writer writing about her writing path.

What my blog has become, and it seemed to evolve naturally since I am a memoir writer and personal essayist, is a blog about life--its joys, it's struggles, its idiocyncrocies, its ups and downs, its nuances. I've tried to share my journey, which is a journey to find truth and deeper meaning in my own life. It is the purpose of my writing as well.

To that end, I have decided to continue that journey here on this blog. Only I am going to cut back from five days per week to three. I will post blogs on Monday, Tuesday, and Friday, with the new intention of sharing my journey in hopes of helping others along their path. If I sell a few books here and there, that would be nice as well. I've been envious of other writers in bloggydom who have found agents and are well on their way to being traditionally published. But that doesn't seem to be my path. My journey seems to be touching people, one person at a time. And from the comments I have received from those who have read my memoir, I have, indeed, succeeded in doing that.

So, hopefully I'll see you back here tomorrow and Friday. Till then,

Blessings,
Karen

29 comments:

Tabitha Bird said...

Yes, you have succeeded :)
And I am very glad you will keep blogging.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Please don't stop blogging, Karen!

Janet Johnson said...

Good for you! I totally agree about doing it for yourself, and not just marketing. It's too hard to keep up otherwise.

Vicki Rocho said...

(exhale) I thought you were going to quit! Cutting back and realigning the focus seem like great ideas.

Mason Canyon said...

Glad you're continuing to blog. Your posts have been inspiring, informative, and entertaining. Thanks for continuing.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Cyndi said...

Karen,

I started my blog for very different reasons. Mostly for the same reasons you probably wrote your memoir. I needed to let the demons and secrets out. I needed to stop hiding and pretending and connect with others who were doing the same. It has helped me and those I've connected with to realize we aren't so alone and our thoughts are universal.

I'm happy to hear you continue to blog and to share your journey as that is truly how to reach people. It is the reason I bought your book so I'm certain others will do the same.

Joanne said...

Sounds like a good plan to me! See you tomorrow ...

Maribeth said...

Karen,
It's not nice to scare people on Monday morning. I thought you knew better.
Glad you're going to continue.

Maribeth
Giggles and Guns

Karen Walker said...

Maribeth, it's not easy to make me laugh out loud, but you succeeded. Thank you!
Truly, I didn't mean to scare anyone. Just doing what I do, sharing my thoughts. Thank you all for letting me know you're glad I will continue.
Blessings,
karen

Karen Gowen said...

I agree with Vicki. Focusing and limiting is better than quitting!

Elspeth Antonelli said...

I'm so glad you've decided to continue blogging. I find your voice a very restful one in the midst of the hurly-burly of life.

Stephen Tremp said...

Glad to hear you're still blogging. Cut back if you have to. I did. I can only do about three a week.

Stephen Tremp

Helen Ginger said...

I'm glad you're going to continue. I would very much miss your honest and open posts.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Good! I'm so glad you're continuing your blog, Karen. It's a nice oasis in my crazy-busy life! And I think cutting back to 3 a week makes a lot of sense.

Glynis said...

So glad you are not giving up!

The Old Silly said...

Glad you decided to stay here in Bloggydom, but I can certainly understand having to give it serious consideration as to whether to continue. It IS a sometimes time-consuming and arduous committment, hmm?

Lola Sharp said...

I blog because the community of fellow writers has been delightful. So many wonderful writing friends on this journey have been a tremendous fun to spend time with.

You have a terrific blog here...I just found you, so I'm glad you aren't giving it up. :)

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

By touching one person at a time you have accomplished so much and should feel proud. As a once-a-week blogger, I can certainly understand your need to cut back, but I am happy you decided to continue blogging.

carolynyalin said...

I cut back and found that my writing time increased. I still visit blogs (rarely comment) but only post once in a while. I think you'll enjoy some time away.

Jemi Fraser said...

I enjoy visiting your blog Karen. I've never blogged more than 2 or 3 times a week (not that I've been around all that long) & it works out well for me. No pressure that way :)

Theresa Milstein said...

I just came from Karen's post and I'm glad I did.
Blogging is finding more about ourselves and connecting with others.

N A Sharpe said...

Karen,
I am glad you are going to continue blogging. I know I haven't been around the bloggydom much myself lately (work is way too busy and monopolizing my time) but I truly enjoy reading your blog. There is a certain serenity about your blog that I really enjoy.

Nancy, from Realms of Thought…

Julie Lomoe said...

Karen, your post today mirrors many of my own questions about the value of continued blogging, and I'm so glad you've decided to continue sharing your personal journey. You're an inspiration to me.

Julie Lomoe's Musings Mysterioso
http://julielomoe.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Yours is the only blog I read.
-Simona

Glynis said...

There's something to keep you going on my blog. *grin*

Linda Austin said...

I've cut back on blogging, too - especially when on vacation. However, vacations and other trips usually provide for good blog posts upon return. I blog as a mission to inspire others to share their life stories, as well as to let others know who I am as a person and as a writer. I think you do this, too!

Jayne said...

Enjoy your vacation! I think with blogging it is very easy to feel a bit overwhelmed with it, but choosing certain days to blog I am sure will be much better. I keep thinking I will get a bit more disciplined with it all but haven't managed it yet. :)

Crystal Clear Proofing said...

Karen you have indeed succeeded in touching so many lives with your insightful and thought-provoking posts. I'm personally very glad you decided to continue posting. I'll definitely be here every Wednesday! :)

Hugs and Blessings!
~ Crystal ~

Jen Chandler said...

I would definitely miss you if you stopped blogging :) But I understand the reasoning behind wanting to stop. If you're goal is to help people, to communicate with them and encourage them, to tell stories from life then you are indeed successful!

Kudos to you for knowing how to slow down and get a blogging schedule that's right for you. We'll be here.

Jen