Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, June 28, 2010

Monday Musings

People are saying that I look lighter. Funny thing is, I'm not losing more weight. It's energetic, I think. Because I feel lighter. Not carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders like I used to. That weight includes my own psychological and emotional issues, my hubby's work stress, my friends' stuff, Buddy's health issues, the oil spill in the Gulf, the wars in the Middle East, and on and on and on.

Used to be, I bore all of that, internally and externally. It is difficult to find a balance between being aware of what is going on, both in the world and in peoples' lives that I care about, but not getting so caught up in it that I am thrown helter skelter.

One way I am dealing with this is not watching or reading the news. Believe me, someone will let me know what is going on at some point. I won't remain out of the loop for long. But I find I can keep my emotional balance better without the media inciting me to a frenzy.

Another thing I've taken on is a living plant. In the past, I killed plants because I never knew when to water, not to water, how much to water. But I need to connect to Mother Earth on a daily basis, so I bought a small plant. I need to touch the soil daily to see if it's dry. Then I need to learn how much water she needs. And how much sunlight. This is a big step for me, and it's hard to put out on this blog, because I know many of you are into gardening and growing herbs. Wish I was more that way.

How do you keep you balance in the midst of world and personal chaos?
Blessings,
Karen

16 comments:

Vicki Rocho said...

I hate watching the news. In Vegas, it was too depressing! All the murders, robberies, and negativity. There's nowhere near as much of THAT in Iowa, but our 6 a.m. news is a lot like our noon news which bears a striking resemblance to our6 pm and our 10 pm. ARGH!

The Old Silly said...

I keep balance by keeping my mind centered. I call on my Zen training to keep focused on here and now, living in the moment. When I find myself off-balance it's because I realize I've strayed from the practice, so I stop, meditate, and get back into the Middle Way.

Good Monday Muse...

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I think that's really tough--to stay engaged with friends' problems and not *worry* over them to the point where they're dragging us down (along with our own problems.)

I think I probably need to work harder on this. Journaling used to help, as did just having a quiet time each day to relax.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

By finding balance with all aspects of my life and remembering that no one thing will make me happy.

Mason Canyon said...

Finding balance is hard when we are such a multi-tasking society. We try to do everything for everybody and forgot about ourselves. Connecting with a plant is a great start. Caring for that plant does seem to help one relax a little. Best of luck.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Joanne said...

I have a small vegetable garden, tomatoes, lettuces, eggplant and peppers, all ringed by marigolds. It offers a great parallel to finding balance in life ... I tend to it, but not too much. I cultivate the soil to keep the weeds out, and fertilize and water only a little bit. After that, I let Mother Nature take over and do her thing. So much in life is beyond our control, and will just "do its thing." So I give enough attention, as you said, to be aware, but know that everything has to run its course on its own, too. Including me!

Cyndi said...

I struggle with finding balance every single day. Interacting with nature in any way is one great way to help. I do ok with outdoor plants and I love summer so I have quite a few plants I work on and this year I'm trying to grow vegetables for the first time. I love to check on all the plants every day and watch their progress.

Mary said...

It's difficult to listen and not be involved with friends. Over the years I've taught myself to only hear most things and not really listen.
I took out cable so I don't get wrapped in the news anymore. What's on the radio is mostly background noise. As you say someone always fills ou in.
Good luck with the plant.

Janna Qualman said...

Balance is so so important. I strive for it every day.

I think it's wonderful people have noticed it in you. You, in turn, will feel it more.

Elspeth Antonelli said...

I'm a fern-killer. Seriously. I've tried to have several over the years and the thing dies within weeks of being in my house. As for keeping up with the news, I find I like having a general view of what's going on in the world. I watch the local news and I check in on several news websites to see what the world is talking about. I don't need to know every single issue, but a broad overview is nice.

Helen Ginger said...

I am a news fanatic. And yet, this past week while away from home, I watched very little news. And I survived. It's inspired me to watch less TV news.

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

The news is gloomy, isn’t it? Every evening I tell myself I’m going to give it up, but there I am the next night camped in front of the TV! I find my yoga classes really help clear my mind and keep me grounded, even though I'm about as limber as a steel rod!

Jemi Fraser said...

Keeping that balance isn't easy - there's always so much going on. I do take news breaks from time to time as well. It can make me so sad.

Good luck with your plant!

Tabitha Bird said...

Balance? Yeah, I am a bit out of balance at the moment. But thanks for this post. :)

Your comment on my blog was much appreciated. I am trying to find Wanting's little brother, Patience. Have you seen him? :)

Patricia Stoltey said...

I can't ignore current events. I care about everything, and I'm a political science junkie. My curiosity sends me to the web to read bills, to blogs to read commentary, and may get me back into the fray to work on behalf of a candidate or two in 2010 and 2012. There's a lot I can't do anything about, but I still care and can't tune it out. It doesn't seem to weigh me down, although I will admit to a personal rant from time to time.

As for indoor plants, I'm good with my Christmas cactus and can even transplant them without killing them. Two other favorites, jade plants and African violets, are fine until I try moving them to bigger pots. Then it's all over. I think my success is based on choosing plants that don't need to be watered too often, those that survive on neglect. :)

Glynis said...

When I moved to Cyprus in 2005, I stopped reading newspapers and watching the news. We had an old field for a garden, so landscaped it. Getting things to grow was such a thrill, I understand what you mean.
Enjoy your plants.