Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here on Monday and Tuesday. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair.

"ONLY ONE THING IS MORE FRIGHTENING THAN SPEAKING YOUR TRUTH, AND THAT IS NOT SPEAKING IT." Naomi Wolf

"We are called human beings, not human doings."
Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

"The way to do is to be."
Laotzu

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs..(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly."
Theodore Roosevelt


Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Telling the Truth Tuesday - Is it time to stop marketing?

I read a post recently on one of the lists I belong to that said once your book has been out a year, it's time to move on to other things. Too late for a book blog tour, which I never did? No more book signings? I've only done a couple. Should I even consider converting the memoir to an ebook, or is it too late for that as well?

My energy has shifted completely to the new work. Between that and my singing group, life with hubby, and time with friends and family, I don't have much left over. Still, when I read other authors' blogs, hear how much effort and energy they are putting into promoting their books, I wonder if I did enough.

Since I was a marketing professional for 30+ years, I know the answer to that question is no. I didn't. But my intention with "Following the Whispers" was never about selling books. It was about turning all the pain, angst, and lessons learned into something positive--something that might benefit others.

Frankly, it worries me about this new writing--that I might not have any energy for promotion once I'm done. But I can't dwell there. That will stop the creative process right in its tracks. I can only do what I can do from one moment to the next, setting honorable intentions, putting one foot in front of the other, breathing in and out as deeply as possible, and letting go of results.

Thank goodness I'm not dependent on my book for income. It is only about self-esteem and feeling as if I have value on this Earth. Which, by the way, I now know I do.

Blessings,
Karen

15 comments:

Mary said...

Beautiful post.
All of the marketing and e-book thing are much more mentally taxing than the actual writing.
I'm sure you'll do fine.Have a great day!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

"Backlist" titles can sell forever. You wrote something timeless - you can market it as long as you want!

Vicki Rocho said...

If you're tired of marketing, take a break or change your focus for awhile.

Mason Canyon said...

I agree with Diane. I don't think there is a cut-off for marketing your book. Focus on your new work if that's what pulls you, but don't think you shouldn't market your first book anymore.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Joanne said...

I agree with the others. Focus on what's got your interest right now. But if opportunities arise where you can promote your memoir, go for it. You can always use your experiences with the memoir as platform when marketing the 2nd manuscript as well.

Helen Ginger said...

This first book was also a learning experience - you've learned what can be done to promote, what you're capable of and want to do, and what feeds your soul. Go with what feels right to and for you.

Eric W. Trant said...

A second book has a bad habit of resurrecting prior books. You might get more sales when you publish that second book!

- Eric

Connie Arnold said...

There's some good advice for you here, Karen. It's good to continue to promote your work with no time limit on it. Any chances for more people to read what you have written is good, and having another book can bring added attention to the first one.

Patricia Stoltey said...

Karen, I've debated that same question over and over. I finally decided that promotion doesn't need to stop. It can be very useful in preparation for your next book, and you can keep it low key while you work on new projects. If I could go back and do one thing (writing related) over again, I would start my blog much earlier and get my name out there.

One recommendation: if your current project is very different from your memoir, especially if you're writing a fiction genre such as mystery or romance, I'd recommend you either start a second blog or shift the focus of this blog.

Jemi Fraser said...

I try so hard not to look far into the future because it terrifies and overwhelms me. All the what ifs threaten to drive me bonkers. So, I just focus on the very next thing and try to block it all out.

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I think no matter how much we do, we always feel like we should have done more. My book has been out almost two years, and though the promotional opportunities have slowed down, I still try to participate in any venue I can. Perhaps you shouldn’t give up on marketing completely - do what you can, but make your current project your number one priority.

Crystal Clear Proofing said...

Karen you said it all! You've asked yourself the questions, you've weighed pros and cons, assessed your situation, circumstances and purpose – YOU have provided yourself the answer. And you've listened to the whispers …

Good job!

Karen Walker said...

Thank you all so much. It is more food for thought.
Karen

Ed Pilolla said...

god, what a treat to read this terrific post this morning. i've self published a couple books but have exactly zero marketing skills and am coming to terms with doing my art for the art's sake, as the saying goes. and the saying is accurate. i wish i can do more marketing than i do, but the whispers say just move on to the next project. i need to start listening, letting go and moving on a little better perhaps.
thanks mucho. nice to meecha:)

Karen Walker said...

HI Ed,
Welcome, nice to meecha right back. And good luck listening for those whispers.
Karen


View My Stats