Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Telling the Truth Tuesday - commitment to self

Yesterday I wrote the first words of my new work in progress - my first foray into the world of fiction. They are not words that will in all likelihood remain in the manuscript, but they represent my commitment to myself and what my soul seems to need to thrive--to write.

Writing my memoir fundamentally changed how I move through the world. It was as if I stepped into the person I was trying to become. This piece is moving me further along that path. And here I thought I'd arrived...heh heh. I guess we don't ever arrive at who we are becoming until our last breath.

My time commitment is, hopefully, easily attainable - two sessions per week, twenty minutes per session. More is permissable. Less is not. Yesterday was session one. I did it. That's all that counts for now.

Do you make commitments to yourself? How are you at keeping them?
Blessings,
Karen

12 comments:

Cyndi said...

Great idea! No, I do not make commitments to myself. I know that I need to but I almost always allow work to get in the way. I've said I will stop doing that but have not. It's a combination of my ridiculously high work ethic (perfectionism) and the fact that I work from home...it's always there...taunting me. When I worked in an office I left for lunch and I left for the day. Happy to hear you have successfully done it!

Vicki Rocho said...

Not doing so hot lately. It's that elusive balance thing that's kicking my booty lately. I'm going to have to give up something and I'm holding out for as long as possible!

Glynis said...

Karen, well done for sticking to your commitment. Keep it up. I learned to move away from certain writing area that were holding me back from my novel writing. I cleared out my blog viewing and concentrated on those I could take seriously. It paid off, and I am moving forward. Novel one is finished and novel two is at the stage you are. We will ride this one together. :)

Jemi Fraser said...

Congrats! That's a huge step.

I don't make goals - doesn't always wrok with my crazy busy schedule - but I do get excited when I get stuff accomplished.

Helen Ginger said...

I used to, but don't make commitments anymore. (I am, however, very happy that you stuck to yours!) Not making commitments doesn't mean I wouldn't do better with commitments. I think I probably would.

Ann Best said...

Well, I have tried making commitments but like Helen I don't anymore. Never works. But when I do get going on something and sit down at the computer, I spend hours and hours when it's going well. If it's not, I take a break, take a nap, and then come back to it. And I've stopped worrying if I hit a dry spell, usually because life intervenes. I always come back to the writing.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Congratulations on accomplishing your first session on your WIP. WIPs are meant to change...Just like your characters...they too will grow. :)

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog too.......

The Old Silly said...

Mmmm, I gotta admit, I've MADE more commitments to myself than I have kept. Just being honest. But I keep trying ...

Stephen Tremp said...

Hi Karen, long time no see. Thanks for stopping by. I keep prettymuch all my commitments. Eventually. Maybe not all on time, and sometimes with changes that are necessary. But yeah, I keep my commitments.

Stephen Tremp

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Good stuff, Karen!
I make commitments, but distractions have a way of moving the deadlines.

Patricia Stoltey said...

Congratulations, Karen. Starting a new book is another milestone.

I'm pretty good at keeping commitments to others, but I often fail to keep my own resolve, especially about writing time. I guess I learn to stop making so many outside commitments?

Patricia