Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Telling the truth Tuesday - Obsessions

I'm reading Geneen Roth's new book, "Women, Food, and God." Roth has written several books on compulsive eating and recently appeared on Oprah touting this new one. On the show, she spoke the spiritual connection she found as she looked at her food obsession. It intrigued me because I, too, found that the need I was trying to fill inside me with food was really a spiritual need, not a hunger need.

Truly, I thought I was done once I hired a nutritionist rather than do another diet. That was a huge shift. Then, after losing 40+ pounds, something else changed. I no longer wanted to overeat or indulge myself with food. Yes, I still craved things that weren't good for me, but I didn't always have to listen to those cravings. Since I've been maintaining this weight loss for a few years now,I thought this issue was over for me.

But a few weeks ago, a good friend gently told me she thought I was still a bit obsessed with food. It made me angry. Then it made me think about whether it was true. Sadly, I think she's right. Even though I don't obsess about what I'm going to eat every minute of the day, I do worry when I eat out. I worry when I don't poop enough (sorry, I know, TMI). I worry about how much water I'm retaining.

Now, how much of this is obsesion and how much of this is because I'm hypoglycemic, I'm still trying to figure out. The hypoglycemia forces me to eat every few hours so I don't panic and get extremely anxious and irritable. This means I'm eating when I don't necessarily feel hunger pangs in my stomach. Roth advocates not eating until you are hungry and learning to distinguish between thought hunger and true body hunger. I'm all for that, but if I wait until my body hunger kicks in, I'll be a raving lunatic.

I'm slowly working my way through the book and realizing food truly is an obsession with me. Obsessions obscure emotions we don't want to feel. So once again, I am looking deep inside to see what lurks in my unconscious that I don't want to see, hear, feel, or touch.

Are you obsessed with anything? Does it rule your thoughts as food does mine?
Blessings,
Karen

5 comments:

Sharon Lippincott said...

Wow, what a heavy question. A personal tag line spontaneously popped into mind the other day, "I'm all write." My six word memoir? "I live to write about life." Perhaps a picture emerges?

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Sometimes I think other people know more about us than we do! It's hard to get perspective when we're so close to the problem. I definitely have things that I focus too much on...to my detriment!

Helen Ginger said...

I wonder if all of us have some kind of obsession. Something that we stress over or think about way too much. Personally, I think each of us have something.

Tabitha Bird said...

Yeah, I have a few obsessions. Some healthy, like reading, others not so much. :) I am working through them too.

arlee bird said...

I used to be much more obsessed with food than I am now. Food sounds less good to me as I get older. I guess I've always had somewhat of an obsession for women, but I think I'm healthily normal. Then there's my obsession for music and accumulating CDs, but that has tapered off greatly. My biggest obsession these days is for blogging--I've started dreaming about it at night which might be getting scary and I think about it when I'm doing other things.

Lee
Tossing It Out