Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, August 2, 2010

Monday Musings

Last week I discovered a new blog.




I hope you will check it out.




                                                                            * * *
I think I've finally grown up. I know that sounds ridiculous, since I'm 61. But it's true. I feel "mature" for the first time in my life. Until recently, my emotional feelings and reactions ruled my world. If someone said something upsetting, I'd react internally and spill out words without thought. Now, I can hear their words, feel my feelings, respond appropriately, and move on. It's quite miraculous. For those of you who grew up in a healthy environment with parents who taught you things like this, it's probably an every day occurrence for you. But for those like me, not so much.

What are you musing about today?
Blessings,
karen

16 comments:

Tabitha Bird said...

I agree Karen. I am learning to do the same. Each day brings new practice with that one. I am getting better and regulating myself regardless of others. Feels good! :)

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I think I need to make time to play a game or two with my daughter before I do all the things I need to do today! But I didn't think of it until you mentioned having an introspective moment for Monday Musings. Thanks! :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'm musing about another week of travel, this time planned but not really wanted. Oh well.

Mary said...

Monday is mapping day. I lay out what the week holds.
61 seems to be the year for those of us coming from unhealthy environments. (Maybe I'l take a minute to muse why.)

Giggles and Guns

Mason Canyon said...

I'm musing about my week and how to keep it on track or at least near the tracks of what needs to be done. Happy Monday.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Hold my hand: a social worker's blog said...

Karen,
I am stopping by to tell you that among three books I recently ordered -and have already arrived yay!- there is "Following The Whispers". I was impressed about the comments that Ann Best posted once on her blog, in reference to your book. I can't wait to start reading it!
Doris Plaster, a social worker's blog

Karen Walker said...

Tabitha, that's wonderful - you've done it way earlier than me.
Elizabeth, enjoy those moments with your daughter. They are so precious and you can never get back lost ones.
Diane, safe journeys, dear friend.
Mary, yeah for sixty and sassy!
Mason, one step at a time helps stay on track. If I try to do too much at once, I'm for sure lost.
Doris, hello. Thank you so much for these kind words. It still makes me nervous when someone says they are going to read my book. Sigh!
blessings,
karen

Jemi Fraser said...

I'm musing over courage - taking risks and steps that scare me. I'm a bit of a wimp :)

Ann said...

I am musing about the arrival of my son next Sunday. I am looking forward to seeing him. I am also musing over a story of hurt and disappointment I wrote many years ago and only found the courage to revisit this week. Have a wonderful Monday.
Ann
Inkpots n' Quills

Tamika: said...

I hope I'm growing up more and more each day. If I'm in the same place I was last year that would be tragic!

Thanks for the link:)

Jen Chandler said...

What a lesson! I fling words and have fits of emotion. One of the problems with CFS is not being able to handle stress well. Not fun! It's definitely a learning process.

What am I musing? So very much. The need for change. The desire for change. Lots of musing going on over here :)

Have a marvelous Monday, Karen!
Jen

Patricia Stoltey said...

I'm musing about being peaceful and enjoying the moment. I've been following the blogbooktour of a children's book called "What Does It Mean to be Present?" It's a wonderful question, and a wonderful topic for grownups as well as kids.

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I’m spending the next few days staying with my grandson and two granddogs while their parents are off for much need alone time. This is my first chance all day for getting online or getting any work done – but it’s worth it:)

N A Sharpe said...

Lol, actually I was just on Patricia's blog and I'm musing about books...and chocolate.
Mmmmmmmmmm...

Nancy, from Realms of Thought…

Belle said...

That's part of my daily practice - learning to observe my emotions and stop reacting to things! Today, I'm musing about how I need to commit to making time for writing. :)

Linda Joy Myers said...

Hi Karen,
I love your blog! And I hope your folk dancing has fueled even more your youthful attitude! Musing--that's what we writers do a lot of, it seems. I wonder if more of my musing should go on the page. I find myself musing about "the way things used to be," and want to capture sketches rather than think of a longer work. So today I started. Thanks for all the good stuff here on your blog.--Linda Joy