Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, August 9, 2010

Monday Musings

We survived folkdance camp. Not sure how. I didn't get more than 5 hours of sleep any of the three nights we were there. But when you're having that much fun, who cares if you get enough sleep or not. I figured I'd catch up when I got home.

You asked for pictures, so here are a few. Enjoy! This is yours truly all gussied up for the Gems and Minerals party theme. The dress is copper-colored - it doesn't really show that in this photo.










This is "the Monroes" - that's me on the left. The three of us performed "Diamonds are a Girls' Best Friend" at the Gem and Mineral party. I will not be posting the video on Youtube.


Here are just a few of the 100 folkdancers who attended camp this year. I'm third from the left. The theme for this night's party was "All buttoned up."











this night's theme was Magical English Ball. Here I am, looking like Maid Marion, as someone so kindly put it. That's a magic mirror behind me.










More elegant dancers at the Magical Ball.



Hubs and me. Aren't we adorable?

So, my Monday morning muse question for all of you is, how often do we get to have this kind of fun as adults? And because I know the answer is not very frequently, my next question is why not? What can you do today to add a bit of fun into your life?

Blessings,
Karen

14 comments:

Jody Hedlund said...

Oh wow!!! You look gorgeous, Karen!! And you look like you're having so much fun! You're so right--as adults we get so busy that we just don't take the time to have as much fun as we need to! I'm trying to give myself permission to just slow down and really savor playing with my kids--whether it's basketball with my oldest or snuggling and reading with my younger ones. Maybe it's not super exciting stuff, but I enjoy them immensely!

Ann said...

Great photos! Looks like you had an amazing time.

Vicki Rocho said...

Great pics. Look like you had a wonderful time. I agree we should all have more fun!

While I was at the Antiques Roadshow Saturday (managing the line...more involved than you'd think), I had a blast waving and pointing people to the right line. My gestures were exaggerated and sometimes ridiculous, but really how many times can you say "the line is right here" before going stark raving mad? I had to mix it up for my own good!

Mary said...

Loved the pics! You and hubby sure looked the part.
Fun is a state of mind that none of us visit often enough as we age.Giggles and Guns

Mason Canyon said...

Love the photos and the copper-colored dress - WOW.

To answer your question, I think when we become adults we forget to enjoy life.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Jemi Fraser said...

You are most definitely adorable!! Love these photos. It looks like you had a blast!

I love the copper dress - you are gorgeous :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

You ARE adorable! And come on - I want to see the YouTube video!

Helen Ginger said...

It looks like you had a blast! And you're so cute, as is hubby. Put it on YouTube. Go ahead! If not, then send the code to me and I'll put it on my blog.

The Old Silly said...

Wow - not that looks like some rip-roaring fun! Thanks for sharing the pics. Me - I do just about anything crazy when prompted - my kids sometimes get embarrassed, lol.

Karen Walker said...

Sorry, guys. No YOutube. This was for friends only. Some day we might get our Sugartime group videotaped good enough to share.
Thanks for all the compliments.
Karen

Anonymous said...

Did you change the "Diamonds" song to fit August Camp? If so, I want to publish the words in the Aijde. I love your pictures. You are a "hot ticket," Karen.

-Simona

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I enjoyed the pictures - it looks like fun was had by all.

We meet friends in Vegas once a year and I have a ball, but I don’t think I could handle it more often because I need my sleep!

arlee bird said...

Looks like everyone had a fine time. You and your husband look like royalty.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

This looks like it was so much fun, Karen! What great pictures. :)