Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, August 16, 2010

Monday Musings

My weekend was filled up with singing gigs, folkdancing, taking a young friend shopping for clothes and chilling out in between. Don't I have a great life? Yup.

My Monday morning musings are about gratitude. I am grateful to Tabitha Bird http://tabithabird.blogspot.com/ for hosting me on Friday. I wrote about the power of memoir and the discussion over there was quite interesting. If you haven't already, please visit Tabitha. She's a very gifted writer.

I'm getting ready to take a trip back to my beloved Portland, Oregon next week, but for some reason, I don't really feel like going and I'm not sure why. I miss the friends I am going to see very much and want to see them. I miss the ocean. I miss the energy of that city. Not sure if I should really pay attention to this feeling and not go. In the past, when I haven't listened, it's been a huge mistake. But there's nothing I can pinpoint that is logical. Although I know not everything has a logical explanation. As it gets closer, guess I'll have to make a decision.

How about you? Do you get these little niggles when you are faced with something to do, somewhere to go, etc.? Do you always listen? If not, what happens?

Blessings,
Karen

19 comments:

Tabitha Bird said...

Ooh, thank you for those kind words about my writing :) Of course, I exposed all today and wrote about my fears as a writer... FEAR in general really. With that in mind when I was reading your blog and you talked about that niggling feeling, for me, that is usually ALWAYS fear. I am very very good at ignoring it. But when I face it and ask it why it is there and why I am afraid, when I give it a voice I can usually decide what course of action to take. I am not saying this is the case with you. It may not be. So all the very best making that decision, cause it is hard to give voice to those niggle no matter where they come from :)

Have a great Monday.

Jody Hedlund said...

Oh, I missed your interview over at Tab's! I'll have to head over and check it out!

Hope you can discover what to do! I always run my doubts past my husband or mom. That usually helps me to know whether it's just me or if there is something else I need to pay attention to.

Vicki Rocho said...

I hear that voice too. And while I try to listen to it whenever possible, I don't know what I'd do in this situation. Sometimes I get the voice mixed up with my own internal apprehension when I'm about to go outside my comfort zone.

Sylvia Dickey Smith said...

I'm like Vicki. It is difficult to understand these feelings and where they come from. Keep up posted about your decision and how it works out.

Sylvia Dickey Smith

A War of Her Own

Mason Canyon said...

I've learned from experience that when that little voice talks to me - listen. At least in my case, every time I've dismissed it something goes wrong. Hopefully as it gets closer to time to leave you'll know which way to go.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Tamika: said...

I missed the interview too~ but I'll definitely read it this morning!

I have those nudges from time to time. I can never really explain them either, I pray about it and have always come through fine.

Praying for you:)

Mary said...

Been where you are many times and I don't envy you. Every time I go against my instincts it's a disaster.
So I will keep you in my prayers.
Mary

Karen Walker said...

Tab, we're on the same wavelength. My tomorrow post is about fear as well. My niggling voice is not always fear. If it was, I'd know how to deal with it.
Jody, you're lucky to have a mom you can turn do. I have a few "elders" I go to for advice, as well as my hubby. But this isn't a doubt - it feels different.
Vicky, yes, this will come up when I go out of my comfort zone. But that's not it this time.
Sylvia, hi. Nice connecting with you. All I know right now is I think it has something to do with someone I care about being in trouble and needing me.
Mason, I'm with you. My memoir was all about this very thing - the consequences of not listening to the voice of intuition and the healing and power that comes when you do.
Tamika, nice to "see" you again. Hope all is well in your world.
Karen

Stephen Tremp said...

I at least give them considerations. Run them past my wife. Keep them on the back burner. Just in case I need to make a move, at least I won't be caught totally unprepared.

Stephen Tremp

Jemi Fraser said...

I've been out of town for a bit and am just getting caught up on everything! My little niggles are to try and catch up on sleep! :) Probably not going to happen...

Clarissa Draper said...

I try to listen to those little niggles when I can. It's so important. However, I know I've often ignored them myself.
Clarissa Draper from Listen To The Voices

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Mary and Stephen,
Jemi, try to catch up, even a little bit helps. Welcome back.
Clarissa, yes, it is important. It's hard to know when it's okay to ignore and when to pay attention. I'm still tuning in...
Karen

Jules said...

Oh, I get them. Do I listen? Most definitely, I tend to hurt myself when I don't. :D
Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Linda Pressman said...

Karen, just discovered your blog via your comment on Debra Schubert's. Really beautiful. Something similar happened to me - voice in head stuff - once. Or more than once, now that I think of it!

Karen Walker said...

Hi Linda,
Thanks for the visit and the comment. So nice to "meet" you.
Karen

arlee bird said...

Sure, I sometimes get those tugs that want to discourage me, but usually I keep on with whatever it is I've set out to do and end up having a great time and nothing goes wrong. It's usually the times when I've been looking forward to something when things don't go well and I end up disappointed. I think it's a matter of anticipations and expectations. If they are low, things end up better and if they are too high, then I'm sometimes let down. But overall it's usually all good.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I get those little niggles almost every time I’m due to travel. I convince myself I am just being silly, lazy, neurotic and so on. I go through with my plans and usually end up having a good time.

Another part of my problem is that I travelled so much earlier in life that it’s lost some of its mystique. And the airlines have done everything they can to make sure all flights are miserable these days!)

Patricia Stoltey said...

Those niggles (or Nagging Whisper as I called her in my blog post today) is always on me about something. I do try to listen. Most of the time.

Patricia

Patricia Stoltey said...

okay, niggles are and Nagging Whisper is...I think I need more sleep...