Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, August 30, 2010

Monday Musings

My writing retreat was, well, ah, not a writing retreat, but a retreat. From everything. Seems I needed a break from Sugartime rehearsals, writing, worrying about a family member, you get the idea. Once I let go of the need to be productive, the week got much better.

I'm starting to have weird conversations with friends. Like one who is turning 55. He's realizing how different he is at that age from his parents. So am I. Different than my parents were at this age. I feel better than I have ever in my life, physically, emotionally, spiritually. I try not to dwell on thoughts about the time to come when I will begin to lose friends, lose physical and cognitive functioning. It is a reality that looms, but I know better than to worry about it. Acceptance is the key. With grace and dignity, if possible. Until then, however, I intend to live my life as fully and as passionately as possible, dancing and singing and writing as long as I possibly can.

Hubs has been MIA for several months now. A major project at work keeps him working 7 days a week, night and day. His body may be home, but he's somewhere else. I miss him. The end is now in sight, though. It will be nice to have him back. I don't do well in isolation.

To reward him for his hard work, and to give us some time together and will some dear friends, we're going to take a cruise on one of those big monstrosities. I have no desire to do this, but hubs does. We're going to the Southern Caribbean, with stops in Puerto Rico, Antigua, Grenada, Barbados, and a few other places.
I think it will be relaxing. Unfortunately, it's not until December.

I don't think I'll be posting a video of the skit from camp singing "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend." It wasn't very good vocally, although it was hilarious as a performance. I'd rather post Sugartime singing one of our songs, as soon as we get a video made. Hope that's ok with everyone who wanted to see that particular thing.

What are you musing about today?
Blessings,
Karen

19 comments:

Karen Gowen said...

mmmm, how nice it would be to have an employed husband?

Jody Hedlund said...

Glad you had a relaxing retreat. I love how you're in tune with what you need and then make sure to do that. I'm not always so good at listening to my body and taking care of myself! I can relate to what your husband's life is like. Sometimes I feel like I work 24/7! But I suppose it's just the life stage that I'm at with my children and writing.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Karen, you will so enjoy the cruise! We did one years ago and loved it. My husband said the best thing was that he didn't have to drive anywhere once we were on the boat.

The Old Silly said...

Enjoyed your Monday Muse, and I hope "Hubs" (love that nickname, lol) comes home soon for ya. As for what I'm musing today? Just click here. (wink)

Helen Ginger said...

The Southern Caribbean in December? You gotta love that, if just for the weather! And you'll love it for the time you'll have with your husband. (Never been on a cruise. Would like to go on one, but my husband has no desire to step foot on a cruise ship.)

Today, I'm having lunch with some writer friends, then it's back to working on a messed up website.

Helen

Karen Walker said...

Helen, I'm kinda with your hubby on this one, but it will be relaxing, that's for sure.
Hi Old Silly, I did,indeed, click on.
Diane, that was the whole idea - easy peasy, as Dani would say. No planning. No driving. No worries.
Jody, yes, it's a busy life stage you are in at the moment. Just remember to breathe.
KarenG, I am so sorry about your husband. Unemployment at that age can be scary. I wish him and you the best of luck.
Karen

arlee bird said...

Sounds like you are in a good stage of your life and maintaining the right attitude. It' funny what you were saying about the parent thing. I now feel like a clone of my father, which is something I would have never pictured back when he was my current age and I was much younger than I am now. I have modeled my life since having children upon his life because he did a pretty good job of being a father.

Looking forward to whatever video you decide is worthy to put up.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Jules said...

Loved the musings...I remember having projects that kept me at the office, seems like a lifetime ago. :(

I too took a cruise once. Fair skin and an open deck do not mix. lol The food was the best part along with the animals made from towels. Make sure you pick your clothes up or you'll come back to a zoo. :D
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Glynis said...

Oh wow the cruise sounds wonderful. It will do you good to be with hubs. Keep enjoying life :)

Jemi Fraser said...

It's a good idea to take a break from regular routine and relax. The cruise sounds like fun - you'll enjoy it once you're there!

Karen Walker said...

Lee, you are lucky you had a wonderful father to emulate.
Jules, what do you mean towels made from animals?
Thanks, Glynis.
Jemi, yes, breaks from routine are crucial. Wish the cruise were now instead of December.
karen

Tamika: said...

I'm musing a lot this Monday morning. I feel a new direction and call in my writing, and I know with complete certainity that God will be faithful to complete this work in me. It feels great:)

Happy Monday!

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I found that sometimes doing nothing I planned turns out to be more productive in the long run.

On the video, if the performance is hilarious, I don’t think anyone will care that the singing isn’t perfect. I can only speak for myself, but I love to laugh!

Ann said...

Great musings Karen and a cruise to look forward to. What a nice way to end the year.

Tabitha Bird said...

Thank you for your comments on my blog. Those words I wrote came straight from where I was and have been for the last few weeks.

That cruise sounds AMAZING. I have always, I mean ALWAYS wanted to do one of them! It is my dream to some day cruise around there. I will do it one of these days :) I hope you enjoy it and the time with your husband.

Belle said...

A retreat from everything can be just so perfect sometimes. And a cruise does sound relaxing - something to look forward to, too!

Fragrant Liar said...

The good news is that in December, the hurricanes will all have fizzled out and your cruise should be smooth sailing. I've never been on a cruise. One of these days, when I find Mr. Right for the Long Haul, I'm making him take me.

I'm definitely different at 54 than my parents were at my age, and their parents, and on. That means that we're walking new ground and some of it is scary, but mostly it's exciting.

Happy writing and singing.

Patricia Stoltey said...

Musing about how I take on too many projects. After all these years, you'd think I'd know how to say no. I finally did turn down a request today, and it actually felt good.

Jen Chandler said...

Hi Karen,

So glad you were able to take a relaxing retreat. Sometimes, the best thing for us, personally and creatively, is to just remove ourselves from life and unplug.

Your cruise sounds wonderful. I went on one years ago. It was relaxing and very interesting. You should find lots of characters to write about :)

There are always musings dancing around in my head. Right now, it's the new blog direction and getting balance back in my life. I'm definitely different than my parents were at my age. I'm different from most people my age. But no worries, I'm coming to terms with that!

Blessings,
Jen