Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Telling the Truth Tuesday - Folk dance camp

Hubs and I are off to our annual folkdance camp on Thursday. It is a yearly gathering of folkdancers, mostly from the southwest area (Texas, Oklahoma, Arizona, New Mexico). For those of you who don't know what folkdancing is, there are cultural dances done in most countries around the world - dances which have been done for hundreds of years. Dances done in circles, couple dances, such as the Hambo, from Sweden, and individual gypsy dances from places like Hungary and Romania.

I have folkdanced off and on since I'm 16 and it is definitely one of my passions, although bodily injuries like arthroscopic knee surgery, a fractured ankle, and rotator cuff surgery on my shoulder have certainly hampered it in the last few years. But if those things hadn't happened, I wouldn't have found my passion for singing, so go figure. Hopefully, my soul has learned to get life lessons without illness or injury.

At camp, we stay in dormitories at New Mexico State University in Socorro, NM. We eat in the cafeteria, dance all day and party at night. Then, when the dancing is done, the guitars come out and the singing begins. Exhilirating, intense, exhausting, and a total blast - that's August Camp.

So, I won't be visiting your blogs on Friday cause I'll be, well, all of the above...so, see ya next week, y'all.
Blessings,
Karen

10 comments:

Mary said...

Sounds like a blast! Unless of course like me you have 2 left feet and can't carry a tune.

Have a ball!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I've been to Socorro! Have a great time and no injuries.

Ann said...

Sounds like an exciting week. Have a wonderful time. Look forward to hearing all about it when you return to blogland.

Mason Canyon said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. Hope you have a great time. Looking forward to finding out what all happened while you were there. Maybe a photo or two? Have fun.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Jemi Fraser said...

Have a great time - sounds like fun :)

Stephen Tremp said...

Sounds like fun. My parents and my brother and his wife dnce. They take lessons and do everything from folk dance to ballroom to Charlestion and whatever. Have fun and let loose. Post pictures too when you come back.

Stephen Tremp

The Old Silly said...

Go and enjoy! We'll all be here when you get back, lol.

Helen Ginger said...

Food's prepared for you. Dance all day, party all night. Sing-alongs. Life is tough.

Have fun! Take pictures. We'll be looking for you to post pics.

Crystal Clear Proofing said...

Sounds like a fabulous time, Karen! Have FUN, be SAFE and, as Ginger said, take pics!! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am feeling so sad at this moment. Oh to be with all of you right now... :`(

-Simona